Bike Camper

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
G3CWI

G3CWI

Veteran
I think the design might need a bit of work (including getting it up hills). Not sure I would want to come down a hill with that behind me either...

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
I think the design might need a bit of work (including getting it up hills shedding seventy pounds). Not sure I would want to come down a hill with that behind me either...

FTFY

Some folk revel in using heavyweight solutions to lightweight problems.

Ern1e

Über Member
I think the design might need a bit of work (including getting it up hills). Not sure I would want to come down a hill with that behind me either...
That would be a yes from me also I once loaded my cargo trailer with 64 lilo's of stuff (trailer weighs 14 and is rated to 90 kg's) only took it about five miles or so which did include a little uphill and blow me that was enough ! ok I hear peolpe shouting rule 5 ! I still ues it but not at that weight anymore once was enough.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
^^^^^ ditto, but I had a cunning plan, fit an electric kit to a MTB for trailer pulling duties (same kit as I'd fitted to Maz's Dawes cos she has Arthritis in both knees) and we don't have, or want a car. Then I went and broke my femur so the idea got shelved for a bit but during the (ongoing) recovery a physiotherapist got me to 'ride' an exercise bike and said "its a shame you havn't got one at home". I had a think about this and also of getting a 'Turbo Trainer' and bolting one of the bikes onto that but then good sense prevailed and I got the Trike which now has the same electric wheel kit fitted to that (it can go onto any 26" wheeled bike once I can ride a bicycle again)
As someone who has used a trailer for 15 years and covered over a thousand miles pulling it I can say that if you have more than 20kg in a trailer (plus the weight of the trailer itself) any hill over 1in10 is get off and walk time and that is with a 30 'granny' ring and 32 tooth rear sprocket, so the idea of dragging 88 pounds for any distance is fine if you lived in somewhere like Holland but a bit of a masochistic exercise here in the UK.
In short I think trailers are great and for fetching stuff from a garden centre or builders merchant home and allow me to get stuff back without having to ask for a 'favour' from one of my car/van driving mates (or pay delivery charges) or for taking kids out (much better than a seat on the rack of a bike) but to go off on a holiday with summat like that. :crazy:........................Look good at some sort of 'Cycling event' though but not useful in the real world.

Top Bottom