1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bike chains for Endurance rides

Discussion in 'Time Trial, Long Distance and Endurance' started by steveindenmark, 16 Nov 2017.

1. I am aiming this question specifically at endurance riders. Which is why it is in this forum.

I am replacing my Shimano 10 speed casette and would like to replace the chain with it. Are there better makes of chain than others or will a normal Shimano 10 speed chain fit the bill? Is there a make of chain that endurance riders seem to gravitate to?
  2. Tin Pot

Tin Pot Guru

Not for me, I use standard KMC chains because they're cheap and well respected.
    HLaB and PMarkey like this.
  3. From another thread ...
    steveindenmark likes this.
  4. ianrauk

ianrauk Tattooed Beat Messiah Staff Member

Barmy in Barming
    I get a lot of miles out of KMC chains.
    I never did get round to trying Wipperman.
  5. DCLane

DCLane Found in the Yorkshire hills ...

I'm boring and rely on Ultegra chains. They've been fine for LEL / PBP with no issues at all.
  6. tatr

tatr Well-Known Member

Yep. My winter bike has done over 2k miles on a single ultegra chain.
  7. I use KMC chains but mainly because they are easier to fit than shimano chains rather than strength reasons. I usually swap them before there is cassette wear but I've had 5,500 miles out of one before I swapped it. Amazingly the new cassette I bought was never needed, especially as it had been used over a harsh winter.