Bike chester

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

clockworksimon

Über Member
I christened my new Spa Elan on the long route today (with first ride over 2 hours). Glad of my mudguards and chunky tyres. Bit of a headwind on way back. Wouldn’t have gone out if had taken BBC weather forecast as reported. A nice day out!

Chislenko

Veteran
Glad you both enjoyed it, I just didn't fancy paying somebody £37 to cycle roads I frequently ride for nowt!

clockworksimon

Über Member
Glad you both enjoyed it, I just didn't fancy paying somebody £37 to cycle roads I frequently ride for nowt!

I agree completely. I just rode from my home which is near the beginning of the ride and followed the route arrows. Packed enough food in bar bag to be self sufficient (and to test my new bar bag!). Got extra water from a shop en route. With the awful weather forecast, I was prepared to shorten the route or even not to bother.

Couldn't even tell you the last sportive I rode. I know it's expensive but it did make me get out for a bigger ride than normal and the endorphin rush from trying to not get dropped was well worth it.

It's not for every week but once in a while.

Chislenko

Veteran
Couldn't even tell you the last sportive I rode. I know it's expensive but it did make me get out for a bigger ride than normal and the endorphin rush from trying to not get dropped was well worth it.

It's not for every week but once in a while.

Roughly how many did the long route?

I do take your point about the "competitive" side of it and there always being a "hare" in front of you to try and chase / keep up with.

I always run faster at Parkrun (than when solo running ) for that very reason.

Roughly how many did the long route?

I do take your point about the "competitive" side of it and there always being a "hare" in front of you to try and chase / keep up with.

I always run faster at Parkrun (than when solo running ) for that very reason.

Hard to say. I believe there were 400 entrants but the long ride might have had 100 or so doing it ?

My Garmin tells me I'm exhausted today so I'll have to have a nap this afternoon. That's my alibi for my wife anyway.

It's amazing how much faster you can go in a competitive scenario. If I miscalculate and start too far forward at parkrun I take minutes off my normal time.

Top Bottom