Bike choice for a friend

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
A friend of mine is looking for her first road bike, budget £600-700 ish. A more relaxed geometry. She' 5'5 and would prefer a ladies bike (from an aesthetics point of view really, plus better off the peg fit would be anticipated). Currently has an Apollo MTB (she knows but it has served her well, did L2B on it a few years ago), now looking for a 'proper' bike :smile:

Minimum spec really will be a carbon fork and Sora groupset

She test rode a 2014 Giant Avail 3 today, first ever time on a road bike which she really liked, good price at £600 down from £700. If she could get the 2014 Avail 2 with Tiagra for a good price she'd be tempted (likes the colouring), the LBS we went to wouldn't budge on price for the 2

Evans are getting her the Cannondale Synapse Sora WSD in for a test ride in the week

She sat on a 2015 Trek Lexa S in Action Bikes, doesn't like the colouring but does the 2014 model, Evans don't have her size to test, but Cyclesurgery do. She could get a testride on the 2015, but with no intention of buying from that shop, it wouldn't really be cricket to do so

There's a Specialized Dolce which looks ok, but at £585 it only has Claris which is off putting considering the price and other options. I have suggested she test ride it after the C'dale if Evans still have the size on the shop floor

Last, most expensive option could be a Bianchi Via Nirone Sora but it's £750 and a 'unisex' so may need other adjustments

I have had an Avail 2 so can obviously vouch for it, but not the others.

Any experiences of the others?
Or anything else we've not considered (looked at Pinnacle, Norco etc but they don't look at good)

Which LBS refused to budge on the price for the Avail 2?

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Apex in Clapham. They got a good deal on remaining stock from Giant on the 3 but the 2 is in short supply (CS don't have at all for example). I have suggested she phone Giant in Twickenham

There are some good looking Scotts, but nowhere local (SW London) seems to have them!

400bhp

Guru
It's pretty hard going for a women's bike at that price to be honest.

I am looking for a winter bike for the OH and the Ribble winter trainer has a short top tube and can be built with women's specific saddle, bars and a stem to suit. Not really sure what an aesthetic women's bike is TBH without stereotyping.

Cost about £600 for Sora. I'm waiting for a Ribble voucher to come along then I'll be pressing the button.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
We will see what the email reply is. I've not got any time to look around more this week!

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
It's pretty hard going for a women's bike at that price to be honest.

I am looking for a winter bike for the OH and the Ribble winter trainer has a short top tube and can be built with women's specific saddle, bars and a stem to suit. Not really sure what an aesthetic women's bike is TBH without stereotyping.

Cost about £600 for Sora. I'm waiting for a Ribble voucher to come along then I'll be pressing the button.
She wants to buy in a shop and not unline. Ribble nowhere near

I think she'll be able to choose one of these options

Colour, no black, preferably no pink - she likes red, purple, blue, silver ok

Top Bottom