Bike choice for the ride London 100

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm trying to decide which bike to use for the Pru. I understand that the TT bike is not permitted :sad:. So now my choice is the Bianchi (I've had a bike swiped on a train journey before so I'm a bit twitchy about taking it up) the Boardman Roadie, or the Boardman cross trail. I wouldn't normally do an imperial on the cross trail, but that makes me see it as more of a challenge^_^. What would you take?

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
The bike you like riding most. If I had the same three bikes I suspect I would be going for the Bianchi followed by the Boardman road bike and if all else failed the Crosstrail.

OP
OP
Racing roadkill
The bike you like riding most. If I had the same three bikes I suspect I would be going for the Bianchi followed by the Boardman road bike and if all else failed the Crosstrail.
That would be my normal mode of thinking as well. What I've decided to do, is ride (more or less) the 2014 route, on each bike, in succession, over the next couple of months. Then I'll decide which one will provide the biggest challenge :thumbsup:.

zizou

Veteran
I suspect if you chose to do it on a hybrid or cross bike (when you have a nice road bike available) then you would regret that decision during the ride, in particular during the final stretch past westminster to the mall.

If you want to make it a bigger challenge then just ride harder, these events are only 'easy' through choice!

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
I'm sure that's been done, ditto a bmx. Not aware of a BB having been used yet
There were a couple of Boris Bikes in '14, and I think some in '13 too. Not sure if anyone has done it on a penny farthing yet (or if they'd be eligible).

rb58

Enigma
I've not had a fixie in the 'fleet' since my Quella got pinched. I reckon it would be fine to do the route with a 48 up front and a 16 on the back though, running with the hub in single speed.
I wouldn't get up Leith Hill on 48x16. But I am seriously thinking of doing it fixed on 46x18.

Top Bottom