Bike Choice Questions/Options

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Boon 51

Veteran
I've sort of narrowed my bike choice down to a Trek 2.3 or a Caad 8 both with 105..and about the same price.
Questions..
The Trek has tublees wheels and as I've never had them before are they OK and do they make an improvement over standard wheels.

Caad 8.. Some reviews say a wheel upgrade is needed but you could say that about most bikes at this price?
But what wheels would be an upgrade in let say Fulcrums.. the Quattro's, Fulcrum 3 or Fulcrum 1.

Secondly the guy in the shop said that Tiagra groupset nowadays is just as good as the 105 was a few years ago and cheaper, so anyone got any views on that?
Would Tiagra be OK..
Plus any thoughts on either bike would be helpfull..

Cycleops

Legendary Member
You do like buying bikes don't you.

Never had tubeless so can't comment, but all they do is do away with the inner tube so you probably won't see any difference. I have seen reviews of three grand bikes saying they are " ripe for upgrading" but the rule of diminishing returns kicks in pretty quick.

I would agree with the guy in the shop and you would find little to fault in the Tiagra group set.

outlash

also available in orange
I've had my CAAD8 w/tiagra for just over a year and I'm still pretty smitten with it.
The stock wheels are not as bad as say, the Triban wheels but I upgraded to Fulcrum 5's and they're not a massive improvement, they've stayed true (so far) which was more than can be said for the stock ones. IMO, the tyres make more of a difference, the Lugano's aren't great especially in the wet.
I've also recently replaced the cassette, chain & rear derailleur all to 105 and again, there's not a huge difference.

I guess it depends on what riding you're planning to do, I've done 3,500 miles on my CAAD and I can't see myself upgrading any more parts unless they need replacing. The bike is good enough for my needs so I can't see myself changing any time soon.

Tony.

SteCenturion

I am your Father
Any of these choices come in Red & White Boon ??

More seriously ...

Shop guy is right as Shimano employ a 'trickle down' system of upgrading their groupsets so yes Tiagra is now 10 speed (was 9 speed) & is plenty good enough.

Tubeless wheels require tubeless specific tyres (that weigh a little more then standard but negated by 'no tubes').

They are supposedly harder to fit (much tighter) & need liquid sealant to be inserted to be effective.

Most bikes benefit from a wheel upgrade to lighter/stiffer wheels but this all depends on if the bike owner is happy with supplied wheels.

Hard to say without reviewing your chosen models if this would be worth it or not.

Both the brands you chose are very highly regarded by many so no fears there.

Whichever way you go - you are sure to enjoy.

Best of British.

Tubs are expensive to Buy/replace ... would stick to clinchers (700c) .. As for 105 v Tiagra ..Do think there is much in them these days !
IMO ... I would go for a 105 if I had a choice .Thinking in the shifters would be better in 105 !

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
You do like buying bikes don't you.

Never had tubeless so can't comment, but all they do is do away with the inner tube so you probably won't see any difference. I have seen reviews of three grand bikes saying they are " ripe for upgrading" but the rule of diminishing returns kicks in pretty quick.

I would agree with the guy in the shop and you would find little to fault in the Tiagra group set.

Thats funny as SHMBO asked why I was getting another bike LOL's.

The truth is I started with the wrong bike in the first place and it all went down hill so too speak, But I sold my Cannondale Bad Boy 2 today which will help fund the new one next week.

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
I've had my CAAD8 w/tiagra for just over a year and I'm still pretty smitten with it.
The stock wheels are not as bad as say, the Triban wheels but I upgraded to Fulcrum 5's and they're not a massive improvement, they've stayed true (so far) which was more than can be said for the stock ones. IMO, the tyres make more of a difference, the Lugano's aren't great especially in the wet.
I've also recently replaced the cassette, chain & rear derailleur all to 105 and again, there's not a huge difference.

I guess it depends on what riding you're planning to do, I've done 3,500 miles on my CAAD and I can't see myself upgrading any more parts unless they need replacing. The bike is good enough for my needs so I can't see myself changing any time soon.

Tony.

Great reply thanks..

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
Tubs are expensive to Buy/replace ... would stick to clinchers (700c) .. As for 105 v Tiagra ..Do think there is much in them these days !
IMO ... I would go for a 105 if I had a choice .Thinking in the shifters would be better in 105 !

I have too say I wouldn't go out and buy tubless its only the bike come's with them.. and my other road bikes have all been 105.
Cheers.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I think you may be labour in under a misapprehension here. It sounds like you might mean the old time honored "Tubs" ie tyres with tubes sewn inside, unless I am mistaken. The OP is referring to the newer development of tyres stuck straight to the rim with no inner tube. Correct me if I wrong!

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
I think you may be labour in under a misapprehension here. It sounds like you might mean the old time honored "Tubs" ie tyres with tubes sewn inside, unless I am mistaken. The OP is referring to the newer development of tyres stuck straight to the rim with no inner tube. Correct me if I wrong!

From what I've seen in the shop the newer tubeless rims can be fitted with standard tyres as well with no rim tape needed, so you are dead right. :smile:

swiftylee

i had a caad 8 105 last year loved it... now have a defy composite 3 with upgrades and hate it... going to lbs tomorrow to look at cannondales...

can say i notice no different in the tiagra on my giant compared to 105 caad 8

get the dale....

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
i had a caad 8 105 last year loved it... now have a defy composite 3 with upgrades and hate it... going to lbs tomorrow to look at cannondales...

can say i notice no different in the tiagra on my giant compared to 105 caad 8

get the dale....

Ditto.. I'm off tomorrow to the bike shops to see if I can get any more discount, but I do love Cannondales and its just about favourite out of the two, I will check the Tiagra out while I'm there.
PS The Treks are better discounted than the Dales so I might play one shop of against the other as you never know?

Peteaud

Veteran
Ditto.. I'm off tomorrow to the bike shops to see if I can get any more discount, but I do love Cannondales and its just about favourite out of the two, I will check the Tiagra out while I'm there.
PS The Treks are better discounted than the Dales so I might play one shop of against the other as you never know?

You have your answer. If you love Cannondales (i am a dale fan myself) why go for a Trek because of a few quid / Euros?

CAAD8 is imho one of the best bikes around.

Top Bottom