Bike choice UPDATED !! new choice at end

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
basically i have £50 in cash for birthday
i can get this second hand would be for commuting the odd occasion that its snowy or as a back up bike worth it ?
1615822324200.png

Last edited:

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
It doesn't look like its had many miles on it. Provided it is mechanically sound its worth it in my eyes...

T4tomo

Legendary Member
It might want more robust tyres on it for commuting, I doubt apollo stretched to much puncture protection in their BSO's, and arguably cheap mudguards too.. but for £50 hard to go far wrong provided gears works etc

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

As a backup it's OK - £200 new !
paid £40 needs the bb sorting as theres play in it , i do have a donor bike i can strip for parts as i got a 24 " wheel bike free for mini ck 2 but its fugly and needs a new non standard seatpost.
as said this is a bike to be used as a back up bike to be left in bike shed at work as long as it functional i dont care
push comes to shove might even fit her soon !
around here you can pay a ton for a 20 year old BSO , overall im happy

Last edited:
OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

Got to say my Apollo was awful. Never got all the gears working.
i do have some thumb shifters i can transplant i do find the twist shifters can be problematic even on more expensive bikes

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Mine wasn't even twist shifters. At a guess, now I know a bit more about gears, the limit screws were never set right. As I had it professionally serviced I suspect they would have tried to do that so perhaps the hanger was bent.

It's a wonder it didn't put me off riding altogether :laugh:

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

Basically sold the bike and a couple of kids bikes and i have decided i will not get anything worth the hassle so i am looking at this
£50 frame with carbon forks . worth it ? i nearly have enough spare bits
1616606589102.png
1616606651254.png
1616606694907.png

Bike frame. Aluminium with carbon forks headset stem and handlebars included English threaded bottom bracket use on turbo trainer few small marks otherwise good condition ideal for 1st build or winter/turbo trainer bike

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Basically sold the bike and a couple of kids bikes and i have decided i will not get anything worth the hassle so i am looking at this
£50 frame with carbon forks . worth it ? i nearly have enough spare bits
View attachment 580304 View attachment 580305 View attachment 580306

Bike frame. Aluminium with carbon forks headset stem and handlebars included English threaded bottom bracket use on turbo trainer few small marks otherwise good condition ideal for 1st build or winter/turbo trainer bike
Looks good to me if its the right size for you......

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

Thought process is i can fit some 28-32 mm cx tyres to my vanquish as it has loads of clearance and that can be my winter bike
Looks good to me if its the right size for you......
according to the seller 54 top tube ctr to ctr which is ok

plan is to get some cx tyres as i can run 32s on the vanquish as a winter commuter and build this up as a standard road bike /commuter

Last edited:
Top Bottom