Bike Computer or GPS

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I believe the ones with a 5 at the end are slightly bigger screens with touchscreens. The ones with a 0 at the end are something like 0.4" smaller on the diagonal and use a mini joystick to control them.

I quite fancy getting one for walking and cycling but they're pricey. What's a good one to get that has a good screen for maps? Do any connect to strava?

There's a few OS GPS units you can buy direct. They're pretty neat and designed for cycling and walking use. They come with a quad lock bike mount and a second back, that you can swap over from the original flat back, that has the bike mount built in. Expensive but top spec too. Wireless connection. It's designed to link in with sensors like a normal bike GPS unit. BT, ANT+, WiFi, etc. Suitable for mapping use and monitoring use. Even has smartphone alerts/connectivity too.

Last edited:
The 20/x and 30/x were primarily designed for walking I think. Garmin, and cycling shops, would prefer you buy the more expensive bells and whistles "performance focussed" ones. This was very probably the reason m6mal ended up getting his from an outdoor shop. So if you are bothered about "pricey", I think the answer to your question is in the thread above.

yes I know m6, after all I have the not too disimilar 20, and of course there is a bike mount. It is true I think that it is not seen a lot in bike shops. For pretty clear reasons.

Hiking units are popular for cycle tourists and those interested in varied outdoor activities. Discussions on mapping GPS units on bike forums (except the roadie oriented / performance obsessed ones) tend to discuss hiking Garmin GPS units for touring purposes. I can see why. £160 for something good enough that will accept mapping (plus freely obtained mapping). If you're interested in more cycling obsessed stats like cadence, power, etc. then there's the expensive cycling units with maps or it seems the hiking unit etrex 35. I think you can get the 35 for £289 with a lot of premium OSGB mapping in 50k scale however you can probably find it somewhere cheaper without mapping and put the free maps on instead. A quick search it's £180 without maps from a sailing website.

BTW the 35 also has connectivity to Garmin connect which will link to strava. Plus a function that allows people to live track you just in case you get into trouble. Or it can get you into trouble if you're caught out having too long a pub stop at your local instead of actually riding.

BTW the 35 also has connectivity to Garmin connect which will link to strava. .
agh! :smile:

What I would be more interested in is a something similar to my Etrex 20 with a slightly bigger screen, NOT touch screen control, and rather than the ability to connect wirelessly to other riders, compare/brag about "performance" the ability to connect wirelessly to an android tab (I have the wonderful OSMand plus on this and use it when touring) or Chromebook so that I can transfer gpx routes. But I fear Garmin has no such device, and very probably no intention of developing (not that it would need much in the way of development) one? Please correct me if I am wrong.

Oh, and a slightly faster processor.

As I said, this aint rocket science and is hardly ground breaking tech.

For larger, non- touch screens take a look at the excellent but pricey satmap brand. They do a bike mount too. They're designed by someone involved with military GPS units IIRC. They don't want fragile touchscreens on kit squaddies get their hands on so they kept the same mentality when they left to set up their civilian GPS business.

I use strava but with the highest possible privacy settings. If I've done it right then I'm the only person who can see my rides. It's a record of my rides only. I have no interest in social media like twitter, Facebook and the social aspects of strava/Garmin connect.

BTW that reminds me I must delete my Facebook account. I've read you can delete Facebook completely. I deactivated years ago but didn't think you could delete completely. Takes 90 days and about 15 rounds of questions and forms.

Thanks for the reply to my question timewaster. Have briefly seen satmap units.Apart from, yes, being pricey, I actually had the impression that they were rather delicate. And if anything, perhaps too many buttons. Which somewhat increases the chance of failure.

I used to know a guy who had the original version. He really rated it highly. More money than sense you could say because he had the best gear including all the UK in both OSGB scales, screen protector (well you get one for your phone) and a satmap branded carry case. Basically all the extras they do.

Since getting it he used to leave his maps in his rucksack because he found the satmap was good enough. That was when most other GPS units didn't do mapping or at least not as comprehensively as they do now.

Fragile? No idea but that guy never had any problem in the few years I knew him. Another guy I knew had one, he was a fell runner/mountain marathon runner. He used to take it on runs attached to a bag around his waist (can't remember how this long since). Never had problems. They both rated the unit, original version not the newer one.

Personally the touchscreen versions of Garmin GPS units I'd worry about being fragile. IIRC satmap use toughened glass screen (might be gorilla glass). Plus you can get the best screen cover too. If you're hard on electronics then I doubt any of the modern units are that much tougher than the rest. Could be wrong.

Personally I don't like the satmap GPS units. I think Garmin are neater.

Anyone know what happened to Lowrance GPS? They were actually the biggest GPS producer in the world and got into handheld units for awhile. Generally they were better, quicker to pick up satellites, more channels, etc. All for less money than Garmin. I suspect they've gone back to concentrating on marine, industrial and professional GPS equipment. Let the playing field fit Garmin

It's the buttons that I had the impression were the delicate bit on a satmap. Have seen some bust ones.

As for a carry case (non branded personalised) for the garmin etrex 20 30 series I will be back with a suggestion costing about £1 when I am on a better keyboard.

Top Bottom