Bike Computer or GPS

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
M

m6mal

where's me bike
I think i am going with
Garmin eTrex 30x GPS BirdsEye Select

all i need now is to learn how to find the free maps on the internet with cycle paths shown and also cycleroute planners

OSM cycle maps tend to show all cycle paths/sustrans routes.
But you'll never know if they are passable on a bent trike or not until you try to use them.

As for a route planner, I like/use BikeHike, http://www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php.
It's easy to swop between Google and OSM cycle maps, with a side view of OS maps.

OP
OP
M

m6mal

where's me bike
OSM cycle maps tend to show all cycle paths/sustrans routes.
But you'll never know if they are passable on a bent trike or not until you try to use them.

As for a route planner, I like/use BikeHike, http://www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php.
It's easy to swop between Google and OSM cycle maps, with a side view of OS maps.

yes indeed, it looks good, just had a play with it, going to try and buy a etrex 30x today from somewhere

Good choice, though if you want to save some pounds I would consider the 20x. The extra features of the 30x have never seemed great to me. Will be back later on maps and routeing when on a proper keyboard.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
I'm with Blue Hills here, you're better off with the 20x. The only things the 30x has over it are a wireless transfer thingy, an electronic compass and an altitude thingybob. A hundred quid extra just for those? Pfft.
I transfer my data to the PC with a usb cable. This powers the 20 while doing so and so isn't sucking the batteries dry needlessly.
The 20 suffers from compass wander when stationary which the 30 doesn't but once you're on the move the 20 re-positions itself.
Unless you're literally flying on the bike, the altitude thingybob is pointless. It uses barometric pressure to get that data and as far as I'm aware, isn't terribly accurate.
I do prefer the colour of the 30 though but should the 20 jump from it's mount it'll be easier to find.
Make sure if you buy a bracket for the unit that it's not some cheap Chinese copy of Garmins own as they are reported to have many 20's and 30's launching through the air.
The one you need is this.......https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0012MI7QE/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I use a couple of cut ends off zip ties to jam the unit into it holder.
I just push them down into the slot from the top.
Once in place, I just cut them so I enough still sticking up so I can pull them out to replace the batteries.

OP
OP
M

m6mal

where's me bike
i got the
eTrex 30x GPS BirdsEye Select
from cotswold outdoor store Milton Keynes for £190 and the bike mount for a tenner whilst there and it has 2 yr guarantee. I like it and am playing around with it atm. I had a spendy day today as i got rid of some radio receivers i don't use so i thought the trike would benefit lol

I'm with Blue Hills here, you're better off with the 20x. The only things the 30x has over it are a wireless transfer thingy, an electronic compass and an altitude thingybob. A hundred quid extra just for those? Pfft.
I transfer my data to the PC with a usb cable. This powers the 20 while doing so and so isn't sucking the batteries dry needlessly.
The 20 suffers from compass wander when stationary which the 30 doesn't but once you're on the move the 20 re-positions itself.
Unless you're literally flying on the bike, the altitude thingybob is pointless. It uses barometric pressure to get that data and as far as I'm aware, isn't terribly accurate.
I do prefer the colour of the 30 though but should the 20 jump from it's mount it'll be easier to find.
Make sure if you buy a bracket for the unit that it's not some cheap Chinese copy of Garmins own as they are reported to have many 20's and 30's launching through the air.
The one you need is this.......https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0012MI7QE/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Ah I didn't know about the wireless transfer thing to be honest - I thought the differences paralleled the 20 and 30. I know I could google the wireless thing but in the interests of chucking the info into the thread can I ask what sort of wireless/whether it works well? I agree that wireless is no great issue when you are with a PC/chromebook or whatever but I have been experimenting in the tent with hooking my Etrex20 to an android tab. This can be slightly tricky due to power considerations and oddities of some android tabs, even using a special lead and a powerbank.

If the OP has no need of my maybe odd plans to wrangle tech in a tent, as I said I would ignore the feature.

The 30/30x compass - agree - no great thing - as soon as you move the 20 or 20x will tell you which way you are headed.

Yes I also understand that the barometric altimeter is flaky, as I believe many are. My free maps installed on my 20 have altitude data in them and it is good enough for what I or I think most cyclists need. I think the 30x's extra features can also suck more battery power. £100? Hell that is a premium.
Agree about using a genuine mount. AND A LANYARD. Despite the mount being excellent my first 20 bounced off on a particularly bad bit of road and I had to use Garmin's rather good replacement service.

oh - just see the OP has already made the purchase - must read to thread end :smile: Will let my post stand anyway as on topic debate.

i got the
eTrex 30x GPS BirdsEye Select
from cotswold outdoor store Milton Keynes for £190 and the bike mount for a tenner whilst there and it has 2 yr guarantee. I like it and am playing around with it atm. I had a spendy day today as i got rid of some radio receivers i don't use so i thought the trike would benefit lol
Congratulations. Now the fun begins - it's an excellent device but it takes a lot of learning.

For maps, check out my fave:

http://www.openfietsmap.nl/

Just updated. No need at all to pay for maps.

Ah, found this on the 30x wireless capability.

Share Wirelessly
eTrex 30 lets you share your waypoints, tracks, routes and geocaches wirelessly with other compatible Garmin GPS devices. So now your friends also can enjoy your favorite hike or cache – simply press “send” to transfer your information to similar units, and let the games begin.

Doesn't answer my need at all unless I have missed something.

Just contacted cotswolds to see if I can still use the membership discount if 15% on top of the discounted price for that GPS £161.50 for the 30 would very much tempt me. I think that's 30% discount.

GoOutdoors price match plus 10% discount if not. Gives £171 or £167 depending on whether they take the 10% extra off the full price. Or there abouts. I think we'll be dropping into Go Outdoors this weekend too.

Why do I get so tempted?!

Go Outdoors doesn't stock the 30x is it a new model?

They have etrex touch 25 and 35 for £290 / £330. What's the difference?

BTW the 25 and 35 are with full UK OSGB 50k scale maps. Don't sell without maps weigh probably explains the 5 in the name and extra price.

OP
OP
M

m6mal

where's me bike
Go Outdoors doesn't stock the 30x is it a new model?

They have etrex touch 25 and 35 for £290 / £330. What's the difference?

BTW the 25 and 35 are with full UK OSGB 50k scale maps. Don't sell without maps weigh probably explains the 5 in the name and extra price.

i bought mine from go outdoors in milton keynes yesterday

Top Bottom