Bike control 101 - How to stop skidding in the wet?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrasB

Veteran
Yeah, Marathon Winters are very different tyres to Marathons. The winter tyres have deep & wide sections of the tread missing to help grip semi-packed snow & spikes.
Marathon v's Marathon Winter
product_136.png
product_139.png

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Yeah, Marathon Winters are very different tyres to Marathons. The winter tyres have deep & wide sections of the tread missing to help grip semi-packed snow & spikes.
Marathon v's Marathon Winter

Cheers GB, will get a pair!

Eh?
Combining those two bits of advice is one circus act I'd love to see someone try on a wet commute!

GC

The two bits of advice are not contradictory, they are just not used at the same time.

On big descents in the wet, where gravity would take me to a speed I'd rather not do and my nose-down stance makes me nervous of the front brake, I feather the rear brake to hold my speed and pedal gently to ensure I don't lock the rear. It's a function of my not being a terribly brilliant or courageous rider.

However, off-road and in harum-scarum commuter dashes, I move my weight around a lot to make turning, slowing or ascending easier.

I must dash now, as I've got an incoming call from the circus.

Sent from my palmtop while riding on a high wire blindfoled on a unicycle. Using tapatalk. Or not.

Top Bottom