Bike Crash Advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fitterone1

Hi. I was a very fit n athletic female, who was involved in a severe accident about three and a half weeks ago on her mountain bike. I shatterred my left femur in 3 places, and was airlifted off the trail to the hospital. I had surgery that night with pins and rods and spent six nights in the hospital. Now I am home but still an invalid. I am going nuts. Has anyone out there ever sustained a similar injury, and could provide me with some advice, hope, xcetera as to when I could at least ride my Turbo trainer, and exercise again. Now it is a major effort to walk with a walker. Life sucks and I need some advice, to know there is light at the end of the tunnel.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Yep, snapped mine 3yrs ago, best advice is listen to what the Medics tell you about exercise.
My leg didn't heal (but that has got more to do with the fact I was over 50,smoke and drink too much) so after 8 months they removed the pin, drilled out the inside of the Femur and fitted a bigger one (whilst I packed up the smokes and booze for 3 months) but only about 10% of people have this problem. You need to wait until they give you the OK to go 'full weight bearing' before doing too much.

OP
OP
Fitterone1

Fitterone1

Yep, snapped mine 3yrs ago, best advice is listen to what the Medics tell you about exercise.
My leg didn't heal (but that has got more to do with the fact I was over 50,smoke and drink too much) so after 8 months they removed the pin, drilled out the inside of the Femur and fitted a bigger one (whilst I packed up the smokes and booze for 3 months) but only about 10% of people have this problem. You need to wait until they give you the OK to go 'full weight bearing' before doing too much.
Thanks. I am trying to follow the exercises of my physical therapist who comes to my house twice a week but that will end next week because the insurance won't pay for that anymore. I eat a very healthy diet and do not smoke and am avoiding alcohol because of the pain medicine, although I might indulge in some wine for the holiday weekend. The worst part is the pain and not being able to walk hardly at all . Of course I still can't drive by myself because I cannot bend my left leg enough on my own to get in and out of the car. It's just such slow progress and I am impatient and hate not being able to workout although I am doing some arm weights.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Thanks. I am trying to follow the exercises of my physical therapist who comes to my house twice a week but that will end next week because the insurance won't pay for that anymore. I eat a very healthy diet and do not smoke and am avoiding alcohol because of the pain medicine, although I might indulge in some wine for the holiday weekend. The worst part is the pain and not being able to walk hardly at all . Of course I still can't drive by myself because I cannot bend my left leg enough on my own to get in and out of the car. It's just such slow progress and I am impatient and hate not being able to workout although I am doing some arm weights.
I was told by a female nurse that breaking a Femur is reputedly more painful than giving birth, I told her that wasn't something I could experience but hoped she would never break her leg to be able to compare.
As for the 'upper body' workout just wait til they give you the OK to start on crutches. :eek:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Hi. I was a very fit n athletic female,

I can't comment about the injury but I'd say this you are still a very fit and athletic female.

I had a heart attack 10 months ago. Staying 100% positive is important. You will heal. You will get back on the bike. Be sure to do whatever is asked of you.

Zeffer

I am seven months on from a broken hip, right femur separated from the ball joint. Follow all the advice and keep asking if you don't get answers. Loads of people on this forum saved me from going nuts, many people here really know what you are going through!

It took me months to get back on the trainer, but every injury is different and the Physio will advise when it's time. In my case, the bone was not healing so I had to stay partial weight bearing for another six weeks. Hopefully it will be quicker for you!

Get well soon!

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I am seven months on from a broken hip, right femur separated from the ball joint. Follow all the advice and keep asking if you don't get answers. Loads of people on this forum saved me from going nuts, many people here really know what you are going through!

It took me months to get back on the trainer, but every injury is different and the Physio will advise when it's time. In my case, the bone was not healing so I had to stay partial weight bearing for another six weeks. Hopefully it will be quicker for you!

Get well soon!

Maybe you can help me Zeffer? I was knocked off my bike nearly 4 weeks ago causing a crack in the ball joint of my hip. I know it's not even a month since it happened but i've been affected by this more than when i had head and neck cancer 9 years ago. At least then i was up and moving and even working 2 weeks after leaving hospital, but this has knocked me for 6! I can't work so i'm down, i can't walk without crutches so i'm hacked off and worst of all i can't ride a bike!
How long is it before you can sense an improvement and think there's light at the end of the tunnel?:sad:

How did you break yours by the way?

Zeffer

Here's my story:

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/in-hospital.196302/

Fell off on black ice. Still can't believe a simple fall led to such horrific injuries, but there you go. I thought that after six weeks I would go full weight bearing and then start to do some zero resistance training on the bike and a bit of walking without crutches. This didn't happen so in the end it was approaching four months before I could carefully start with the trainer. After five months I was properly riding, but this could have been a little earlier except I had my mind to overcome. Even now I am a very nervous cyclist - love it, but when I see anything in the road (gravel, damp patch etc.) I think I'm going to fall off.

It was six months until I was back at work. Currently I am nearly full time and ache all day as well as being extremely tired. Compared to where I was, however, I am doing really well so I have no complaints. I was just very unlucky.

It helped me to realise that by resting and following all the Physio advice, I was giving myself the best chance of returning to normal. but it was frustrating. A retired friend of mine took me out for coffee at least once a week so I had a change of scenery. My wife took me for a short walk at weekends etc. It all helped me stay positive.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Here's my story:

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/in-hospital.196302/

Fell off on black ice. Still can't believe a simple fall led to such horrific injuries, but there you go. I thought that after six weeks I would go full weight bearing and then start to do some zero resistance training on the bike and a bit of walking without crutches. This didn't happen so in the end it was approaching four months before I could carefully start with the trainer. After five months I was properly riding, but this could have been a little earlier except I had my mind to overcome. Even now I am a very nervous cyclist - love it, but when I see anything in the road (gravel, damp patch etc.) I think I'm going to fall off.

It was six months until I was back at work. Currently I am nearly full time and ache all day as well as being extremely tired. Compared to where I was, however, I am doing really well so I have no complaints. I was just very unlucky.

It helped me to realise that by resting and following all the Physio advice, I was giving myself the best chance of returning to normal. but it was frustrating. A retired friend of mine took me out for coffee at least once a week so I had a change of scenery. My wife took me for a short walk at weekends etc. It all helped me stay positive.
The tired bit is hard to fathom. I'm the same. I could understand if i was on medication which causes it but i'm only taking paracetamol and that's down to either 2 or 4 a day now. Maybe it's the walking funny with crutches that adds to the tiredness? I walked about 2 miles on both crutches yesterday and then slept for 4 hours when i got home. That's why i'm up early and posting now as i woke up and couldn't get back to sleep. I'm quite chuffed as i limped to the kitchen to make myself a cup of tea and there was no pain and dare i say that i'm walking more upright, Maybe the walk yesterday did me good? My injury wasn't as bad as yours. It's only a few cracks in the ball joint, not a complete break. I'm determined to get back on my bike ASAP,but i have apprehensions, as i like you will fear coming off again. I don't think i'll be back soon doing 50 odd mile runs like the one i was on when i was knocked off for a while though. I'v started to fear the traffic even more now. As i'm out walking the constant noise from cars and vans unnerves me. Going back to the crash,i also fear riding in a group now. After all it was a fellow cyclist who caused the fall, not a vehicle being driven erratically. Quite a few of them in the group tend to undertake other cyclists and they do not point pot holes out enough! When/if i'm back on my bike i do not want to go through this again. I cannot afford the mental anguish, the financial cost and the pain. Maybe it's time to ride solo and at a slower pace.

Last edited:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I had motorbike accident in 1991. It broke both my arms and right leg and took out most of my teeth. I was off work for 3 years but mentally I bounced back fine.

Last August I came off my cycle and broke my little finger and tore all the tendons and so I have now got a little finger I cannot bend. That doesn't bother me but mentally, I crashed. It was the catalyst to having 4 months off work with anxiety and depression.

I didn't go near a bike for 8 weeks until my doctor insisted that I got back on and start riding again. From the second I got back on I started to get better. A couple of weeks ago I rode 482km in a week for a challenge. I rode 102km on Friday and I am enjoying my cycling more than ever.

Not getting back on a bike will not only harm you physically, it can harm you mentally. There is a lot of research about cycling reducing anxiety and stress.

But don't rush getting on your bike until your injuries have healed enough and then take it easy.

Not riding was driving me nuts, literally. But I couldn't leave the house, never mind ride a bike. The mind is a funny thing.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
When do you see the Physio? Get their advice on using crutches most effectively etc
If the NHS isn't forthcoming, consider paying for private treatment. Probably £40-50 a season.

Top Bottom