Bike Dilemma

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

russ.will

Slimboy Fat
This may be a bit out of whack with the advice thus far but...

Kids grow up feckin quick. Mine has. You buy all sorts of crap to accommodate them and they reward you by growing out of it in seconds. It costs you hundreds.

Buy a bike you want to ride for YOU. Then buy a cheapo off eBay for towing the mini-me around and sell it for a minimal loss when you/it no longer needs it. It's like push-chairs. There's a different one somebody will sell you for every month of their life. In reality, there's the one you need when they're a baby, the stroller you need for the six months after they toddle and after that - just make them walk! They do not thank you to start with, but the sooner you make them walk/cycle, the sooner it is easier for you in the long run. I simultaneously sympathize/want to grab by the neck, parents with two year olds with lanky legs I see being pushed around town.....

If you tow the little b*****ds, they will expect it, but the reality of the window where they actually need it is very small. Do NOT choose your bike to accommodate that window. Instead, keep that money in your pocket to buy them the best kiddies bike you can. They end up enjoying it more and more importantly; start pedalling because they want to. Short term pain for long term gain and all that, etc...

Russell

OP
OP
Jumpingjalapeno

Jumpingjalapeno

Regular
This may be a bit out of whack with the advice thus far but...

Kids grow up feckin quick. Mine has. You buy all sorts of crap to accommodate them and they reward you by growing out of it in seconds. It costs you hundreds.

Buy a bike you want to ride for YOU. Then buy a cheapo off eBay for towing the mini-me around and sell it for a minimal loss when you/it no longer needs it. It's like push-chairs. There's a different one somebody will sell you for every month of their life. In reality, there's the one you need when they're a baby, the stroller you need for the six months after they toddle and after that - just make them walk! They do not thank you to start with, but the sooner you make them walk/cycle, the sooner it is easier for you in the long run. I simultaneously sympathize/want to grab by the neck, parents with two year olds with lanky legs I see being pushed around town.....

If you tow the little b*****ds, they will expect it, but the reality of the window where they actually need it is very small. Do NOT choose your bike to accommodate that window. Instead, keep that money in your pocket to buy them the best kiddies bike you can. They end up enjoying it more and more importantly; start pedalling because they want to. Short term pain for long term gain and all that, etc...

Russell

Wow Russell,

Glad you got that off your chest lol. :smile:. Don't know about your "little B*****d" but mine wasn't walking/cycling/swimming out of the womb, so unfortunately we do have to transport the git about, and has he ever thanked me? Not once!! The sod didn't have the good manners to learn english or come think of it any language before arriving!! I know, unbelievable!

Now, thats not to say I haven't got the message you are trying to convey. I already have a road bike (Caad4), it does what it needs to nicely. The whole point of the new bike is to transport LB at weekends (in a doing stuff with child type manner) whilst also doing the commute during the week. Therefore, no Kid on bike = no new bike. Also, only room for one bike in my gaff, and I'm a one bike type of guy. I ensure u he will be cycling on his own asap.

Having said all that you didn't comment on which bike bike you preferred, I'd love to know.

Many thanks
JJ

PS I recommend a good long cycle for u now, or failing that perhaps a vasectomy :smile:

russ.will

Slimboy Fat
No need for the vasectomy - Chemo buggered up my fertility years ago! As for the long ride - That's never a bad idea.

Out of the rides you listed, I'm drawn to the Merida simply because a couple of friends have Meridas and I liked them after a quick spin. That said, all of bikes listed seem to cheap-skate on providing the full 105 groupo and (and I do seem to be alone in this) I don't really like Shimano hoods or the shifting system. It maybe because of my rather large hands, but I also don't find the two lever system very intuitive. That's why I ended up SRAM and sort of thence onto Planet-X, who offer a wider range of builds from different groupset manufacturers on a given bike.

Based on the face value of the £1200 Merida, I would do no more than suggest having a look at Planet-X XLS which delivers complete groupsets and full carbon for similar money. You also get a lot more choice in components like stems when you order, so if you have a set of dimensions from a current bike that suits you, it's a lot easier to get closer to that at no extra cost.

They're all nice bikes though. :smile:

Russell

OP
OP
Jumpingjalapeno

Jumpingjalapeno

Regular
No need for the vasectomy - Chemo buggered up my fertility years ago! As for the long ride - That's never a bad idea.

Out of the rides you listed, I'm drawn to the Merida simply because a couple of friends have Meridas and I liked them after a quick spin. That said, all of bikes listed seem to cheap-skate on providing the full 105 groupo and (and I do seem to be alone in this) I don't really like Shimano hoods or the shifting system. It maybe because of my rather large hands, but I also don't find the two lever system very intuitive. That's why I ended up SRAM and sort of thence onto Planet-X, who offer a wider range of builds from different groupset manufacturers on a given bike.

Based on the face value of the £1200 Merida, I would do no more than suggest having a look at Planet-X XLS which delivers complete groupsets and full carbon for similar money. You also get a lot more choice in components like stems when you order, so if you have a set of dimensions from a current bike that suits you, it's a lot easier to get closer to that at no extra cost.

They're all nice bikes though. :smile:

Russell

I know what you mean, so tough to find a bike with a groupset throughout, altho the Merida does throw in an ultegra cassette. I had looked at Planet x, unfortunately their shop local to me closed...I'm assuming they can deliver etc...well worth another look methinks, esp at that price! Cheers man.

JJ

vickster

Legendary Member

AFrightfulHobgoblin

Über Member

I got the previous version of that, the CX4, on the cycle to work scheme and it was the bike that got me back into cycling. Much as I love it, I have to say that the new one looks a lot nicer :sad:
It was a great bike for go anywhere, comfortable commuting with the stock CX tyres, but I also put some GP4000 25mm on and it made a decent enough roadie too. Only problems I had were with the Hayes disc brakes which I ended up changing, but they've got something different on the new model.
The kids were a bit old for bike seats by the time I got it, but I've had a rack and panniers and shopping that weighs more that a small child on it many times.

OP
OP
Jumpingjalapeno

Jumpingjalapeno

Regular
I got the previous version of that, the CX4, on the cycle to work scheme and it was the bike that got me back into cycling. Much as I love it, I have to say that the new one looks a lot nicer :sad:
It was a great bike for go anywhere, comfortable commuting with the stock CX tyres, but I also put some GP4000 25mm on and it made a decent enough roadie too. Only problems I had were with the Hayes disc brakes which I ended up changing, but they've got something different on the new model.
The kids were a bit old for bike seats by the time I got it, but I've had a rack and panniers and shopping that weighs more that a small child on it many times.
Thanks for the post. That's good info. I think the spyre brakes are pretty decent for cable discs, having said that I like you would prob want to change them. About to head down to my lbs now....still havent fully made my mind up which bike :smile:

OP
OP
Jumpingjalapeno

Jumpingjalapeno

Regular
About to head down to my LBS now. Still unsure as to what bike i'm likely to put my cash down for. At the mo I'm thinking the Cube cross race pro or merida ride disc 500.
http://www.cube.eu/uk/products/road-race/cross-race/cube-cross-race-pro-rednblack-2016/
http://www.merida-bikes.com/en_int/bikes/road-fitness/road-comfort/2016/ride-disc-500-4451.html

Both have the spec I was originally looking for. The Cube looks a bit sexier, but the merida better finished. Will have to see that both frames are sturdy enough for a baby seat. That lack of pannier eyelets is a small negative, but I understand one that can be overcome.

If the Focus mares 105 came with full hydraulic brakes *rather than TRP Hyrd) then I would have gone for that, but as such that is a deal breaker, which is a pity as the bike is otherwise perfect.

I also really like the look of the planet x london road which is currently reduced, pity their shop local to me closed. Also the on one pickenflick looks amazing, just a little out of my price range (thanks for making me aware of these Vickster). As nice as the planet x carbon cx is, I'd be a little concerned with hanging a baby seat off the frame

Anyway, will report back my decision. Thanks for all the input. Muchos appreciatos!

JJ

Top Bottom