Bike fit, cleat position etc

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

G3CWI

Veteran
Having read extensively about these topics and seen all sorts of conflicting advice, I cant help but think that a lot of what is written is rubbish (it must be in fact). And that with some exceptions, the placebo effect is the over-riding factor here.

I accept that bike fit is important to everyone on a macro scale but this micro-scale adjustment seems like nonsense. After all we sit slightly differently on the saddle every time we ride and the "optimum" position surely depends on whether we are cycling uphill or downhill etc.

I have found some limited scientific studies but most of what is written seems to be based on very little. ...or am I missing something here?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
There are ideal positions, but what suits one might not suit another. Cleat position is very important, as is saddle height. Get the cleat position wrong and you will be in pain. It's easier these days to sort as the cleats have float.

Ideally if you have multiple bikes, you'll have each as close as possible.

Goonerobes

Its okay to be white
I was fortunate enough to get a free Specialized BG bike fit back in March when at the time I was riding consistently at 15.5-16 mph over all of my rides, be it 20 miles or 50.
The fit included raising the seat by over 3cm from where I'd set it using YouTube videos & online suggestions.

Literally the following ride & all of my subsequent rides (normally 3 a week) have been consistently 16.5-18 mph so I'd say it worked for me.

Top Bottom