Bike fit in the South East

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bigtallfatbloke

I know a few lbs up north seem to do a good job with bike fits at a good price, but I havent found anyone in the south east (outside of london) who does anything except sell bikes...sometimes regardless of fit....has anybody been able to find a lbs in the essex / kent / surrey/ sussex areas that offer a good quality bike fit for a decent price?

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
nothing in Kent that i know of, but i can think of a few decent shops if thats any good

Peter

I used iBike http://www.ibike.co.uk in Crowthorne for a good fit. £35 for the fit - which was waived as I also bought a new bike from them. Previously, I'd been sold a bike from a different shop - frame was too large and I was getting knee & back pains - all a distant memory :rolleyes:

walker

try GB cycles in Croydon, they did me for free

bonj2

What does bike fitting actually tell you, other than whether you need a 52, 54, 56, 58? Are there other dimensions to consider, like top tube length, that can vary on some bikes? How many bikes are there that you can specify more than just the seat tube length?

walker

bonj said:
What does bike fitting actually tell you, other than whether you need a 52, 54, 56, 58? Are there other dimensions to consider, like top tube length, that can vary on some bikes? How many bikes are there that you can specify more than just the seat tube length?

All bike shops shlould give you to option of changing the stem height and length to suit your needs along with the bar width and saddle position

Both Mrs G and I had bikefits done before getting our most recent bikes and they gave different measurements from how our previous bikes were set up (by us). The old bikes weren't uncomfortable, but the new position is better.

Blonde

My cycle fit (in London - at CycleFit) was more about me than the bike - it measured my flexibility through my legs and upper body, told me my leg lengths are effectively different (caused by one tight IT band in the left leg) even though their actual lengths are the same - however, many people do have different leg lengths and so many problems around saddle comfort, knee pain and cleat alignment can all stem from this. They gave me custom food beds and a wedge under the left cleat which has completely stopped my left knee 'waggle' and the pain. The knee now tracks straight. Also they reminded me about cycling with neutral spine (ie. straight back, not 'humped'!). They measured my power output (for each leg) so I could see they were fairly equal - which is good. You fill out a form before you go for your fit to tell them of any existing problems you want them to address. Obviously if I'd had back or other trouble they would have concentrated on that but for me it was pain in my knee that was the issue I wanted sorting. They set you up to get the best pedalling efficiency and comfort (though it's usually a compromise between the two, and the extent to which you compromise depends on the type of riding you'll be doing and for how long - which they also take into account). The actual bike measurements were of secondary importance to me, as I am not about to buy a new bike at the moment, though I'll obviously take them into account when I do. The measurements actually do not match any of my current bikes exactly, though they are fairly close.

Mortiroloboy

bonj said:

Different manufacturers have slightly altered geometry to the next make, then you have to take into account semi compact, compact, sloping top tube, 'traditional' horizontal TT 's. With a bike fit a good bike shop will point you in the direction of the bike manufacturer that most closely matches your body measurements/differences, thereby achieving the best possible fit for the style of riding you do.

As Walker also points out they will also swap components like stems, crank arms, 'bars to achieve best fit.

Top Bottom