Bike fit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbs

Guru
After 2 seasons I am just getting to grips with bike sizing. There seem to be a number of crucial dimensions which have to achieved, ideally, or more likely compromised:
1) saddle height and leg bend when pedal is at Bottom Dead Centre - about 20 degree leg bend
2) fore and aft position of saddle so that I sit behind the BB - tip about 6 cms back
3) reach from saddle to hoods
4) drop from saddle to hoods

I have standard frames so I must compromise. Can I safely compromise on 2) and sit further forward without damaging my knees?

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Bike Fit is either:
  • something which can be measured, analysed and a 'perfect solution' found :thumbsup:
  • a magic, dark art practised properly by only a few :secret:
To whichever school you choose to belong, it is not a simple matter - as you are discovering :ohmy:.

There are a number of bike-fitting-related sites which you may well have read - but here they are anyway ! ^_^
  1. Peter White (not the BBC one ;))
  2. Tri Bike Fit
  3. Cyclefit - Steve Hogg
One of the better-rated guys around is Paul Hewitt in Preston, Lancs. A number of CC folk have been to him (myself included :smile:) and he is good.

A friend of mine was there not too long ago and brought this little nugget back:
He also says THE most important measurement** is the saddle setback (nose) from the BB [as] this is the optimum postion for both power and comfort.
... which partially answers your question (without addressing the potential knee-damaging issue).

HTH !

**when getting a bike fit from PH, he gives you a complete drawing with all your optimum measurements, with frame angles, lengths etc, after discussing the type of riding you do, any physical restrictions etc and putting you on his jig to get the set-up right. It is these measurements to which he was referring.

accountantpete

Brexiteer
I'm from 'the body adapts' school of thought - with the proviso that when you make an adjustment take it easy and give the muscles chance to get accustomed to the new position.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
i try and set my bikes up so that the saddle hieght and the length form saddle tip to centre of bars are all the same or very close it seems to work for me , but have noticed 1 bike i have has a longer set of crank arms than the others and that makes a bit of differance

OP
OP
gbs

gbs

Guru
Thanks everybody. If nothing else I have learnt that there is no golden rule - not surprising given the wide range of shapes, sizes and suppleness that one sees on bikes!

Top Bottom