Bike Fit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

G3CWI

Veteran
Having got a road bike a few weeks ago I have now read up on bike fit. Using the 109% inside leg measurement system seems to result in a saddle that feels very high indeed. Certainly I will not be able to stop without getting off the saddle to put my feet down. Is this normal or have I done something wrong?

Cheers

Richard

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Having got a road bike a few weeks ago I have now read up on bike fit. Using the 109% inside leg measurement system seems to result in a saddle that feels very high indeed. Certainly I will not be able to stop without getting off the saddle to put my feet down. Is this normal or have I done something wrong?

Cheers

Richard

Well, the formula is an approximation so you may have the saddle too high, however, to not be able to touch the floor when seated on the saddle is not that uncommon.

OP
OP
G3CWI

G3CWI

Veteran
Thanks Cyberknight. I realise that there are many opinions on what is the best height, it was just the unfamiliarity of not being able to reach the ground that was concerning me.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
There are many videos and instructional websites to help with doing a bike fit. Have a look about and see if your setup matches what other methods would predict, you can always post up a side on pic here for feedback. If you choose to upload an image side on for feedback, upload one with cranks horizontal and one with them vertical. Have your hands on the hoods and try to get into your natural riding position (usually with your elbows slightly bent rather than locked out) don't do anything unnatural, else you will void the advice when you inevitably go back to your natural position.

I find the 109 % to low by about 1 cm , all these formulas are an approximation though .
Heel on pedal = leg straight gives me the best feel .

This one can be a good starting point for many, I usually use it, but it's effectiveness is dependant on your feet size in relation to your leg length, for some it won't work out.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Well, the formula is an approximation so you may have the saddle too high, however, to not be able to touch the floor when seated on the saddle is not that uncommon.

I think someone already said that, word for word :laugh:

malcermie

I was surprised how much difference even 1cm change in seat height made. Having read many different methods of seat height adjustment I just kept moving it up a cm at a time till it 'felt right'

WobblyBob

Cheers

Richard

That sounds about right to me height wise as i'm no where near touching the floor when i'm in the saddle.
Don't know if you got your bike from a LBS or not, if so i'm sure they would give you a 'mini fit' just to make sure you have the basics right.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Sounds like you're on the right track, good luck with the saddle height. You still may have to fine tune your saddle angle for comfort, but this will be a good start.

Top Bottom