Bike for £500?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
If you don't want suspension, why have you linked a bike with suspension?

If wanting a flat bar bike, with a rigid fork the Boardman range are certainly worth a look. Join British cycling for £34, get 10% off at halfords plus other more important benefits like legal and third party indemnity

Your best bet is to go to a few local shops, sit on some bikes, test ride some bikes, decide which suits you best :smile:

OP
OP
M

mowlio

Well what I mean is that I prefer a firmer ride, so if the suspension can be tightened it be OK. I just want to make sure its not a pile of crap. What are base bikes like?

vickster

Legendary Member
If no riding off road (properly off road, not a park or towpath), forget suspension

Never heard of Base bikes, is that a brand?

Go to an Evans with your photo ID and a bank card (they swipe it as a deposit) and get some test rides. Stick to the well known brands, Trek, Specialized, Ridgeback, Cube etc. Evans own brand pinnacle are decent.

vickster

Legendary Member
Basic spec, dull looking IMO. Still never heard of them what does approved training frame mean? By whom, for what?

Go test ride if local, see what you think. It's your cash, you riding it

I'd still get a known brand, even if second hand

if you have a big go outdoors anywhere near you ( I assume you have due to your initial post) go and have a look at the ridgeback range, I am a fan of ridgeback and genesis so don't let me sway you but anyhow it really depends on what you want from the bike.

what sort of riding etc are you looking to do? is it purely for leisure or are you looking at more distance, shopping trips etc?

Cyclist33

Hm, no ridgebacks or geneses at mine!

OP
OP
M

mowlio

It's to get to and from work, (about a mile) I basically just need something to get around on because I'm too lazy to walk. But I like going on bike rides too.

Do go outdoors build bikes for you?

united4ever

Über Member
Got a chris hoy shizuoka last year with a similar budget and requirement to yours. I enjoy riding it but not had many other bikes to compare it to though i did a few test rides of pinnacles and ridgebacks at evans and edinburgh coop and the chris hoy one was my favourite.

SteCenturion

I am your Father
Well what I mean is that I prefer a firmer ride, so if the suspension can be tightened it be OK. I just want to make sure its not a pile of crap. What are base bikes like?
That bike brand you linked is BH not Base & they are in fact the largest cycle manufacturer in Spain.

Good bikes/reputation but not very well known in Blighty, ask anyone in Spain, France or Italy though & it's completely opposite.

BH have been used by Pro teams on the World & Continental Tours for many years.

OP
OP
M

mowlio

That bike brand you linked is BH not Base & they are in fact the largest cycle manufacturer in Spain.

Good bikes/reputation but not very well known in Blighty, ask anyone in Spain, France or Italy though & it's completely opposite.

BH have been used by Pro teams on the World & Continental Tours for many years.

Sorry which one do you mean, the go outdoors one or the Buyabike one?

This one http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/bh-bikes-spike-6-1-29er-mountain-bike-p343626
or this one? http://www.buyabike.co.uk/all-bikes/base-type-s-flatbar-road-hybrid-bicycle-carbon-fork-black-white/

Last edited:
Top Bottom