Bike for a 70 year old woman

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Glasgow44

Veteran
Hi there

I’m trying to get my wee mum interested in getting on a bike and she is not totally against the idea. She’ll be 70 in October; she’s not an unfit 70 year old. She would only be using the bike for very small jaunts along the canal path (she lives right next to the canal). Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced bike? I’m thinking maybe women specific.

Thanks in advance for your help.

J

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Good for her. I'd have thought a dutch loop type or similar would be good.
Something like this perhaps, sit up and beg riding position and just six gears. If you could get her down to Evans to try it might help.
https://www.evanscycles.com/claud-butler-cambridge-plush-2017-womens-hybrid-bike-EV301880

arch684

Veteran
Dales cycles in glasgow have a good range of ladies bikes and they will let her take a test ride.She/you will also get good advice from them

OP
OP
G

Glasgow44

Veteran
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/elops-500-step-over-classic-bike-black-id_8378491.html. I'd get her somethinh like ths and its got a rack on so she can carry things back from the shops if she wants.

Do you think I could fit this with Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres?

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Glasgow 44, what bike do you ride? Hybrid? A bike your Mother might try? Trouble with Dutch type sit up and beg is they weigh a ton! If she's 'not unfit' she might be very happy with a lighter hybrid or similar. I'm 70 in October too, and I'm sticking with my road bikes. BTW - thanks MichaelW2 for your advice - 'Beware that older women break in slow speed bike accidents much easier than younger people' - I assume it applies to really old men like me too - I'll bear it in mind and try not to go too fast or fall off ;). Of course she might well progress to a road or CX bike too - who knows.

OP
OP
G

Glasgow44

Veteran
Glasgow 44, what bike do you ride? Hybrid? A bike your Mother might try? Trouble with Dutch type sit up and beg is they weigh a ton! If she's 'not unfit' she might be very happy with a lighter hybrid or similar. I'm 70 in October too, and I'm sticking with my road bikes. BTW - thanks MichaelW2 for your advice - 'Beware that older women break in slow speed bike accidents much easier than younger people' - I assume it applies to really old men like me too - I'll bear it in mind and try not to go too fast or fall off ;). Of course she might well progress to a road or CX bike too - who knows.

Hi - thanks for getting back to me. I ride a hybrid and I've got two road bikes. I don't think my mum would progress to a road bike but I do think a hybrid is food for thought and will keep that in mind.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Go vintage ?
19238035_10213559062511357_6830359341069426863_o.jpg

Top Bottom