Bike for a big lad?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sabian92

Über Member
Evening all,

Just a quick question on bikes. I've got a friend (actually brother in law to be but friends since childhood) who wants a bike. The only thing is, he's 26st or so, so quite a large guy. He wants a bike to try and get healthier but I don't know where to start with what to look for him. Second hand is OK as long as it's not falling to pieces or anything but I'd really like to help him as i'd rather not be burying him at 40!

Cheers.

Raging Squirrel

Hi

i'm 25 stone and have a Boardman Hybrid comp which is fine for me. Most bikes have a weight limit of 160Kg, which is a smidge over 25 stone, and that's meant to include any luggage.

Giant bikes do not have a weight limit, so this would be a good place to start looking. Ideally he should start on a hybrid or a mountain bike for the strength in the frames and the wheels to deal with the weight.

OP
OP
S

sabian92

Über Member
Another issue is the wheels - are they OK for that sort of weight? I'm 16 stone and bending them out of true as it is now!

Raging Squirrel

it depends on the wheels really. You can get stronger wheels with more spokes, hence more support and weight distribution. Maybe he should stick to staying on the ground, no jumps or bunnyhops to put any extra stress on them, and obviously checking the spokes for tension every few days.

OP
OP
S

sabian92

Über Member
I was hoping to keep him away from suspension and knobbly tyres to be honest but a good place to start! Thank you :biggrin:

I've read that blog several times and tried to get him to read it as well - he seems to avoid it though. He is a bit in denial about his weight and eating habits (his diet is one up from horrifically shocking) but hopefully this will change it.

Raging Squirrel

I'm sure this has been posted on CC somewhere, but this page might be useful reading and the rest of the site might be great inspiration for your friend.

www.theamazing39stonecyclist.wordpress.com/am-i-too-heavy-for-a-bike/[/quote]

/quote]

see he started on a Giant

Norm

At that weight (and this is a gross generalisation), I'd be looking at (I was looking at) a mountain bike styleee ride, rigid if he doesn't want to go too far from tarmac or, if he's got the £££ to buy a decent one, a hard-tail. Do NOT get a cheap mountain bike with front suspension, he won't ride it more than twice.

Mountain bikes are built with stronger frames and, critically, they come with 36-spoke 26" wheels which are stronger than 32-spoke 700c road wheels. They also come with lower gearing, which will help if his fitness levels are as suggested from his size.

TBH, I've got a 1990 Giant MTB without suspension with road tyres which I use as a commuter, shopper, hack and ground anchor for the other bikes. Something like that (or any similar vintage MTB which was fairly decent when new) would be ideal. One in relatively decent order can be found for not much money and, with a set of tyres (City Jets at £20 a pair) and mudguards, he'd be sorted for tackling most things. Note the "relatively decent" thing, though, as a new chain and sprockets could treble the cost, even replacing all the cables and new brake blocks could be £100+ if the LBS fits them.

OP
OP
S

sabian92

Über Member
What would be a budget for a decent hard tail then?

He'll probably have to go second hand - he's on the dole at the moment so he can't afford anything too flash but I really want him to get some exercise. His excuse is "there's nothing wrong with me so there's nothing wrong with eating how I do" sort of thing but he's said he wants a bike so maybe he says it but doesn't really believe it.

swampyseifer

As someone who took up riding around the weight of 21st...

I bought a cheap halfords MTB (about £150) and it worked for me. As has been said, MTBs are big, heavy, thickset bikes that are made to take a pounding. Just dont get him bunny hopping or kerb dropping and he should be fine with it.

Admitedly I had some issues with it, but none were because of my weight...I had a puncture within a few hours, but I had just gone headlong into a thorn bush so thats understandable...the chain kept slipping off at highspeed but that turned out to be a bent deraileur thingy...finally, about 4 months after I'd bought it, some git stole it.

Top Bottom