Bike for a new secondary school student

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Also mention, that from the age of 10, I was a very keen cyclist, but even I could not justify cycling to work and leaving my precious, to me, bike in the rusty old bike sheds.

You worked aged 10? Intriguing 🤔

OP
OP
T

TFP_SA

Roughly, what area do you live in? There is probably a few chatters with unwanted old bikes in their garages.
SW London (SW17), thanks.

in response to other posts, the bike shed at the school looks dry and secure. but the area is decidedly mixed, something really nice would undoubtedly introduce a risk of theft.

Last edited:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
in my experience mechanicaly sound but not pretty with fark off locks make it less of a target, mind you my commuting bike has the ultimate in uncool rack and gaurds :smile:

OP
OP
T

TFP_SA

Sorry to ask - does anyone think this looks any good? Do you think an 11 year old boy might find the rack and mudguards to be a bit off-putting? Do you think it looks vaguely worth the money? That I'd be reasonably likely to get say half my money back in say a couple of years? Subject to a quick test ride do people think it'd be OK to ride without shelling out for a service etc? I found the long list of details in the ad to be faintly irritating but can't begin to imagine whether any of it means anything.

https://www.gumtree.com/p/bicycles/...muter-mountain-bike-black-21-speed/1441832557

Sharky

Guru
I think it lacks the "x" factor that makes it desirable for an 11 year old. For £200, there is good selection from shops like Argos. I'd probably be the first to say that bikes from Argos are a bit rubbish, but a shiny new bike for an 11 yo, might be a good choice. And you will probably get a no-quibble returns policy from argos, tesco etc.

vickster

Legendary Member
Decathlon have some inexpensive bikes. There’s one up the road from you in Wandsworth. Also Go Outdoors on Market Square in Kingston have a decent selection. I wouldn’t buy from Argos myself.
£200 for the black Trek feels expensive. You can always remove the rack and mudguards if needed!

The specs are all decent brand name bits capable of daily commuting. Check the size, it may be a bit big.
Note of warning. The wheels and seatpost are held in place by quick release levers, that can be released by any passing person. For higher risk lockups I prefer old fashioned bolt-on fixings to discourage messing with.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I think it lacks the "x" factor that makes it desirable for an 11 year old. For £200, there is good selection from shops like Argos. I'd probably be the first to say that bikes from Argos are a bit rubbish, but a shiny new bike for an 11 yo, might be a good choice. And you will probably get a no-quibble returns policy from argos, tesco etc.

when my kid was a similar age he wanted a full suss mtb stylee, mainly because it looked cool even though it weighed a ton

All uphill

Still rolling along
Sorry to ask - does anyone think this looks any good? Do you think an 11 year old boy might find the rack and mudguards to be a bit off-putting? Do you think it looks vaguely worth the money? That I'd be reasonably likely to get say half my money back in say a couple of years? Subject to a quick test ride do people think it'd be OK to ride without shelling out for a service etc? I found the long list of details in the ad to be faintly irritating but can't begin to imagine whether any of it means anything.

https://www.gumtree.com/p/bicycles/...muter-mountain-bike-black-21-speed/1441832557

I had one like that a few years ago; it soaked up abuse and neglect, and I covered thousands of miles on it with minimal issues.
But I hated its nothingness.

mustang1

Legendary Member
FWIW I'd be looking at used hybrids and either biting the bullet to inspect / maintain it yourself or trying to find someone independent locally to do it for you.

Unfortunately bikes are sodding expensive and money is evidently a significant concern (as it is for many of us). You mention £300 as being pricey but tbh given today's market I'm surprised you can even get anything worth having for that money new.

Bottom line is something decent is going to cost you and he's likely to grow out of it fairly quickly. Used bikes are typically a lot cheaper than new and the market's seeing a bit of a slump currently..

My money would be on something unpretentious and basic - a used hybrid of some description; probably ally as all the budget stuff is. See how he gets on with it, use it as a learning experience and sell it on for close to what you paid for it if he grows out of it / wants something better / doesn't get on with it.

I reckon the sort of stuff you're looking at new for £300 could probably be had for less than a ton if you keep an eye on the usual places.

A few after a quick trawl on FB muppetplace:

Apollo Envoy for £80
Ridgeback velocity for £100
A decent looking Carrera for £100
Giant CRS for £100
A no-name, matt-black roadi-ish offering with budget Stis for £80
Specialized Vita for £150 (maybe ladies but not obviously so)
A Boardman Team for £220

:smile:

That Ridgeback and Carrera look particularly good. That Giant is pretty decent as well since the owner keeps it clean enough to store inside.

mustang1

Legendary Member
One or two people alluded to security above so definitely consider bike locks. I am of the mindset to have a minimum of two really good quality bike locks but you have to judge things such as:
- how secure is the school garage
- will other kids play a prank my removing the saddle and seatpost
- etc etc

But if things are alright then it could be that just one bike lock is sufficient. I think kids would probably dislike carrying bike locks around (heavy, cumbersome, uncool, etc).

Top Bottom