bike for a newbie woman just under 5ft

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Faithsock

Regular
Please excuse me if this is a really stupid question. I'm just under 5ft tall and want to get an entry level mountain bike. I've had a sit on a couple in a couple of bike shops and I'm really looking to get a bike that's a 13 inch frame which limits my options.
Someone suggested that I consider getting one of the bikes from the boardman youth range in Halfords. It looks like they would be about the right size but what's the difference in spec between a 'youth' bike and an actual grown up bike? Is this a really stupid idea? Can anyone suggest any alternatives? I'm seriously tempted by this at the moment as Halfords has 15% off their boardman bikes til next Wednesday.
Grateful for any advice as I'm totally clueless!

MikeW-71

Veteran
I've just had a peek at the Boardman youth MTB. Looks good, 14" frame, so that looks promising for your height.

Really they could describe it as XXS since the biggest difference is the small frame and shorter cranks to suit very short riders. Otherwise, all the other components are the same as for other bikes. It has 26" wheels, which makes replacing tyres a doddle, even a wheel upgrade would be easy with lots of choice available.

If it fits you properly and you would be comfortable riding it, it's not a silly idea. :thumbsup:

It is techinically low-spec, but then it is a very cheap bike.

OP
OP
F

Faithsock

Regular
Thanks. Would I be better spending a bit more and getting a better bike? I thought getting a kids one might be a way of getting more bike for the money.
Told you I was clueless!

MikeW-71

Veteran
One alternative could be the Giant/Liv Enchant 2, either the XS or XXS size, about £299

It depends what you want from it and where you'll be riding. Spending a bit more for better components can make future upgrades/replacements much easier.

Top Bottom