Bike for an 8 Year Old

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Truth

Boardman Hybrid Team 2016 , Boardman Hybrid Comp
Hi All
I haven't posted for a good while now , I hope everyone is keeping well :okay:
Its my 8 year old daughters birthday two days before Xmas day and I was going to get her a new bike . She currently has an Apollo from Halfrauds and bloody hell its heavier than both of my Boardman Hybrid bikes (not put together :laugh:) !
I am probably being lazy here but anyone got any ideas of an upgraded lighter bike that we could get her at an affordable price? She is very much on the small side (47 inches tall) like her Dad !
Thanks in advance folks :smile:

vickster

Legendary Member
Frog or Isla?

Depends what you mean by 'affordable', Isla bikes are great but pretty pricey, although they do hold there value for re-sale or will last well if handed down, Frog's are nice too and are a bit cheaper.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Thanks for all the replies 👍
I was looking to pay around £150 to be honest but I might have to think a little higher maybe...... 🤔

vickster

Legendary Member

I will say that the Decathlon bikes are on the heavy side - not as bad as the Apollo by any means, but they are meaty. On the flip side, like just about all Decathlon stuff, they are good value.

If it's any help with sizing, I'm 4ft 11" and ride a 26 inch wheel hybrid but a 24 inch wheel MTB.

N.B. I have test ridden the 24 inch wheel Rockrider, but the top of the range one.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Thanks all. I will have a look at Decathlon I think. Don't really fancy a second hand one for a present , just 'seems' wrong , although theres nothing wrong with it at all really!

stalagmike

Enormous member
My 8 year old son rides a pinnacle ash, which is a 20 inch wheel. Alu frame with those small tecktro levers for the brakes. Almost as good as Frog or Isla but can be picked up for reasonable money second hand. I got ours for £35 a couple of years ago ( for his big brother) but you'd probably have to go a bit higher now days. £100 should see you ok for one.

stalagmike

Enormous member
You could probably get one in good condition (fine for a present) as kids tend to move up through bikes a lot quicker while still under 10. Also better for the environment that bikes get used as much as poss rather than scrapped.

Top Bottom