Bike for an 8 Year Old

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Thanks all. I will have a look at Decathlon I think. Don't really fancy a second hand one for a present , just 'seems' wrong , although theres nothing wrong with it at all really!

You'll probably find one that's hardly been ridden. Son no. 2, who races, has only had 3 'new' bikes - his original Decathlon road bike, his Felt F95Jr road bike when he was 11 and his Avanti track bike. Currently all his bike stable of 8 bikes are second-hand. He's getting a 'new' bike next year but that's only because it's a team bike.

yo vanilla

For all my kids at that age I turned to the used market. If the bike went through the first kid and didn't suit the next I could then sell it for nearly the same money if not close enough. Otherwise they grow out of the bike so fast you hardly get your money's worth! Also at that age for us were 20" bikes, we're all on the smaller side. At that time, used, I found a Gary Fisher Pre-Caliber for $150 at a local bike shop (extremely light) and a Diamondback mountain bike for about $100 off Craigslist.

That said I did buy a Raleigh Scout 24" brand new a few years back and it's gone through all three kids.

I would probably opt for a 20" wherl for an 8 yr old.
I used to keep a collection of quality childrens bikes for visiting friends, all from car boot sales. I found a lovely non suspension Dawes 20"; it was steel but not overly heavy. If you go the car boot sale route, get there early and know how to tell the difference between a good bike and a Bike Shaped Object.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Boardman Hybrid Team 2016 , Boardman Hybrid Comp
cheers all..... I will let you know what we go for in the end !
Have a good weekend ^_^

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Hi all,
Just a quick update to bore you ^_^
Been looking for the last couple of weeks and I just placed a bid on a FROG 55 kids bike with 20" wheels / 28cm Frame , the delivery would be pricey if I won it but there's nothing close to me fitting the bill at the moment . Its in excellent condition
Cheers

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Cheers mate. Its blue which is a bigger problem than distance ^_^ . The Frog bikes gone way over my budget now by the way. Are Trek MT60's a decent bike?

stalagmike

Enormous member
Cheers mate. Its blue which is a bigger problem than distance ^_^ . The Frog bikes gone way over my budget now by the way. Are Trek MT60's a decent bike?
What's wrong with blue? Colours are for everyone my friend...

Trek looks like a good one. Front suspension is a bit overkill on a kids bike, but it looks like they have alu frames and adjustable stem which is good for making it fit. Google tells be they are 250 - 300 when new, and Trek make good bikes, so not a BSO for sure.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

I agree Mike but she is going through a very girly stage in her young life :laugh: .
Cheers , I can see a second hand one going for £95 but a few things have made me a bit suspicious of it now 🙁

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Hi All,
Decided on am Original 100 kids 20" Hybrid Bike in the end. I thought I'd let you know in case anyone was losing any sleep over it 😂😂.
Thanks for everyones help as usual....... good people 👍
Cheers , take care

Top Bottom