Bike for commuting and recreation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dodrush

Hi all,
About to start cycling to work and I need to decide about what bike to buy. The bike's primarily for commuting but it would also be nice to be able to go for rides into the peaks with it. It's in Sheffield so the route is fairly hilly.
Previously cycled as a child and teen on a mountain bike but I was thinking a hybrid might be the best option as the roads are fairly bumpy and can be steep.
Distance: 4 miles each way
Budget: less than £350 ideally

Was considering http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/hybrid-bikes/carrera-subway-2-hybrid-bike-2015 but I'm not entirely sure what I should be looking for.

What is your current travelling budget?
You will need some accessories as required: mudguards, lock, repair kit, helmet, gloves, lights, rear lugagge rack, panniers
The subway is OK but the 650b wheel size may limit tyre choice. It was a better option a few years ago in the universal standard 26"MTB wheel size.
Disk brakes are a good option for all-weather commuting. The location of the rear brake can interfere with mounting of rear luggage rack and mudguards. The best location for the brake is inside the rear frame triangle (on the chain-stay), rather than on the more vertical seat-stay.

Almost any bike can handle a 2x4 mile commute. Top speed makes little different to commuting time. I prefer a grab and go bike where I leave all the accessories in place, rather than faff around at each lockup removing stuff for security. Premium grade commuting tyres in med width will minimise trouble and get you to work reliably. Schwalbe marathon or tougher but slower marathon plus are ideal. Stock tyres such as Kenda are often low grade.

Killiekevin

What do you need to take to work? Will you be taking a backpack or do you need panniers? Will you be showering at work or will you be able to make the short distance in your work clothes? All these things will impact upon your choice i think.

What do you need to take to work? Will you be taking a backpack or do you need panniers? Will you be showering at work or will you be able to make the short distance in your work clothes? All these things will impact upon your choice i think.

My instincts tell me that a) 4 mile commute in Sheffield requires a shower afterwards, and b) most any bike of a "commuting" type at that price will have the wherewithal for a rack and panniers if that's what the OP chooses to do. (I didn't, when I lived in Sheff and had a 4 mile commute.)

BB

Top Bottom