Bike for commuting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shiva31

Hi everyone,

I've been considering buying a bike to commute to work (2 miles each way) and use the cycle to work scheme but I do not know which bike to buy.

It will mainly be used on sidewalk and cycle paths.

My company force me to buy from halfords.com and I have a budget of around 300-350 GBP.

I was thinking of maybe buying :

- http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/hybrid-bikes/voodoo-marasa-hybrid-bike
- http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/hybrid-bikes/carrera-subway-2-hybrid-bike-2015

Is there any other bike I should consider?

Thanks in advance,
shiva31

Sharky

Guru
Check the T&C's. I got mine about 8 years ago and the scheme operated through Halfords, but I could source the bike from anywhere. I bought a Giant.

vickster

Legendary Member
I assume the sidewalks you are referring to are shared use paths not pedestrian only pavements

Look at the Halfords C2W site, you can call them and order other models. Or use your voucher at local bike shops that accept them

Or you could buy with cash from another retailer or interest free credit even. The savings on £300 are small, especially if a lower rate taxpayer

That said, the Subway would be a perfect choice for your uses and distances

For 2 miles, the speed of travel is irrelevant, you need a bike which is convenient, low maintenance and reliable.
You really need tyres with extra puncture resistance such as Schwalbe Marathon Plus, so pick a common wheel size. The Subway now has 27.5" wheels and good commuter tyres are not common, usually special order. Look for a 700c wheeled hybrid, a 26" urban utility bike or a 20" folder.
I use internal hub gears on my urban commuter and they are clean and easy to use.
In winter, you can save a lot of faffing around with built-in dynamo-hub lighting system. This can be an add-on but some bikes come with. It is a std fitting in NW Europe.
Bolt-on rear luggage rack and full mudguards are essential.

OP
OP
S

shiva31

vickster

Legendary Member
Both pretty similar, the voodoo a bit more off roady. Go give them a try

If you join British Cycling (around £30 pa) , you get some really useful benefits and 10% off at halfords

Nibor

Bewildered
the Triban will feel quicker as it is a flat bar road bike the Voodoo is more of a hybrid with wider tyres depends what the roiads are like where you are and what sort of leisure cycling you are likely to do otherwise.
If you are likely to use canals and track the Voodoo is better, if you are just riding roads the Triban will be better

+1 to everyone above.

Literally any bike will get you two miles. When I was working 2 miles from home, cycling was my lazy option otherwise I'd walk.

Mudguards are essential, rack not so much if you are ok carrying a backpack. In two miles you won't work up a sweat, so you don't need washing or changing, you would only need to carry whatever it is you'd carry on the bus, so it might just be phone, keys and wallet - especially if there is somewhere you can leave a bike lock at work. You should be able to wheel the bike 2 miles in well under an hour, so even tyre levers and pump is optional. If you have to carry a heavy laptop or tools, then a rack is pretty handy, even for a short trip.

Both the bikes you listed have a guard around the chain ring, which reduces the chance of you ruining a pair of trousers getting caught in there. If you can get dressed for work, hop on the bike then hop off at the other end, lock the bike and start your day, you'll be much more likely to cycle every day. Which ever bike you get, buy mudguards at the same time and get them fitted.

Which bike depends on what else you plan to do with it. The triban would easily take you on club rides on a Sunday morning, while the voodoo is better for canals with the kids.

Top Bottom