Bike for daughter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Not for me this time but Accy junior. She wants a bike but i want to discourage her from exclusively road cycling, so i've got my eye on a cyclo cross machine. She doesn't want a mountain bike as she wants narrower tyres and "wants to experience drop handlebars". I've spotted this Raleigh http://www.wiggle.co.uk/raleigh-rx-...IB9sO0_dc|pcrid|54887871302|pkw||pmt||prd|536
As usual one of the main attractions is the price reduction but apart from that she likes the look of it and it would give her the option of off road.
She's fairly tall 5ft 9 inch, so maybe a 56cm frame then i could higher the seat stem and borrow it?;)

Around here the fashion for girls is the "Girly" pastel coloured bikes, complete with basket and flowers

YOU need to buy her both!

I can just see you on one of these:

IMAG0903-e1346621543658.jpg

vickster

Legendary Member
Not for me this time but Accy junior. She wants a bike but i want to discourage her from exclusively road cycling, so i've got my eye on a cyclo cross machine. She doesn't want a mountain bike as she wants narrower tyres and "wants to experience drop handlebars". I've spotted this Raleigh http://www.wiggle.co.uk/raleigh-rx-comp-cross-apex-2015/?lang=en&curr=GBP&dest=1&sku=5360677285&ci_src=18615224&ci_sku=5360677285uk&utm_source=google&utm_term&utm_campaign=Bikes&utm_medium=base&utm_content=suxIB9sO0_dc|pcrid|54887871302|pkw||pmt||prd|536
As usual one of the main attractions is the price reduction but apart from that she likes the look of it and it would give her the option of off road.
She's fairly tall 5ft 9 inch, so maybe a 56cm frame then i could higher the seat stem and borrow it?;)
54cm if 5'9 most likely but get her to choose and test ride. Please dont buy her a bike that is too big :smile: There aren't very many wsd cx bikes, giant make the liv invite models which look decent. Raleigh looks good too. Apex a very good option for smaller hands due to the slimmer hood design versus shimano

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
54cm if 5'9 most likely but get her to choose and test ride. Please dont buy her a bike that is too big :smile: There aren't very many wsd cx bikes, giant make the liv invite models which look very good. Raleigh looks good too. Apex a very good option for smaller hands due to the slimmer hood design versus shimano

do you rate the gears though? Are SRAM Apex rated?

vickster

Legendary Member
They are very good, equivalent to tiagra. I rode 70 miles on SRAM apex yesterday with no issues. Occasionally shift up instead of down but that's my own ineptitude. I can't use shimano, I simply can't get enough braking from the hoods, so all my geared bikes have SRAM

I don't know, I think that once a girl has reached 5'9", she's probably big enough to decide what sort of bike she wants. If she wants a road bike, I'd be very inclined to get her one.

Still, if she's happy with that bike (rather than just trying to make her dad happy - girls are known to do this), then I demur.

One other thing - has she finished growing? If (possibly) not, you may want to spend a little less on a bike she may grow out of.

vickster

Legendary Member
I'd say 54cm most likely, especially if she is long legged compared to torso as we taller ladies typically are :smile:

This lbs is Accrington sells Raleigh, give them a call, see if they have the bike and what they can do. Unlikely to match wiggle but you'll get after sales service. You'll need to budget for a women's saddle, maybe they'll provide one in the sale price, wiggle won't

http://www.henrygregsoncycles.co.uk

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I'd say 54cm most likely, especially if she is long legged compared to torso as we taller ladies typically are :smile:

This lbs is Accrington sells Raleigh, give them a call, see if they have the bike and what they can do. Unlikely to match wiggle but you'll get after sales service. You'll need to budget for a women's saddle, maybe they'll provide one in the sale price, wiggle won't

http://www.henrygregsoncycles.co.uk

I don't think they'll have the bike or anything similar in Gregson's. It's like a cross between a LBS and one of those hoarder's houses you see on tv! There's dust covered junk everywhere!:thumbsdown:

Last edited:
Top Bottom