Bike for hip issues

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

straas

Matt
My dad is in his 70s and struggles with walking due to a series of failed hip operations.

He's currently resigned to having to go down a mobility scooter route in the next few years.

I think it could be an idea for him to get an ebike now which might extend the amount of time he can go before getting a scooter, as I imagine remaining mobility steeply declines after getting a scooter.

I've tried looking for something suitable but most ebikes seem to come with a high top tube which is a no go due to the hip mobility.

Can anyone suggest whether an ebike would be suitable in this situation? and if so, does anyone have a recommendation for something suitable?

Thanks

Bike or trike?

Jody

Stubborn git
I saw a cracking e-fat trike whilst out riding the other day. Sloping top tube, fat tyres for comfort and a trike to aid stability.

Not this one but you get the idea.
-bike-technologies-fat-tire-trike-426x213-c-center.jpg

My dad is in his 70s and struggles with walking due to a series of failed hip operations.

I'm in my 70s and have a very dodgy knee and ankle on one side from old injuries half a century ago, and a damaged hip on the other side. There is no way I could get on and off even a mixte frame nowadays. With much trepidation and after not cycling for almost ten years (due to eyesight issues, now miraculously repaired - thank you medical technology!) I decided I wanted to cycle again with my 'new' eyes.

I initially planned to get a low-step-through electric bike, but found even the smallest were too large for me (I'm under 5ft tall) - however when I had a go on a neighbour's rusty old 20" folder, although getting my leg over even the low 'bar' was an issue, riding it was not and I was very pleasantly surprised that I wobbled round the close where I live, so easily - so went for a non-electric option, and am loving my Dahon iCiao

If your dad's still riding his bike OK - albeit having trouble getting onto it - I think trying a bike with a low step-through might be the answer if he wants to maintain his current activity level; he could always get an electric conversion for the bike later, or an electric bike itself if he feels he wants to cut down a little on the effort needed. Lots of electric bikes are step-through designs and your dad is unlikely to come across the issues of size that I had with them! I am considering getting an 'electric wheel' for my Dahon, but not until I've had it for a year, I've decided!

Hope that helps, from someone of your dad's own age!

vickster

Legendary Member
There are lots of step through e-bikes surely?
eg https://www.rutlandcycling.com/bike...-2021-electric-step-thru-400wh-green__475211?

or Raleigh, Spesh, Marin…
https://www.pureelectric.com/collections/hybrid-electric-bikes

or the Trek lowsteps

clearly not all will be available, but there seem to be many options

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Yes there are, lots of them! As I (eventually) found out when I was looking. I found a couple of on-line companies exceptionally helpful, with no hard-sell, and visited a shop in Southport for a 'sit-on', where again they were equally helpful. And after all that, I went for non-electric!
Yes it was a response to the OP who said he couldn’t find any

Yes it was a response to the OP who said he couldn’t find any
When I first started looking, I couldn't either and felt like the OP probably does - where ARE they all? Something to do with search engine algorithms, maybe. Once I'd found one, they came in thick and fast - although actually getting responses from some businesses was another thing entirely.

carpiste

Guru
I don`t have hip problems but as a result of a lower calf blood clot I struggle towalk, at any pace, for more than 200 metres! I bought an e-bike hoping I could get exercise and some mobility without constantly using the car.
My Raleigh Motus has been a complete life changer and given me such pleasure you wouldn`t believe it! I`ve lost 2 stone in weight and I`ve gone from 15/16 miles up to 35 mile trips 3 or 4 times a week.
There are plenty of step through options out there to choose from. I did the usual internet searches and eventually had a few visits to various stores. Evans cycles did a few and as soon as I saw the Raleigh I knew it was mine. A sit on different models is a must for your dad. Far better than a mobility scooter option.

Top Bottom