Bike for kids' triathlon

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

froze

Über Member
There are several bikes on on the market, and also a road bike can be converted into a tri bike with little difficulty. I would have difficulty spending a lot of money on a bike for a kid due to the simple fact he'll either outgrow the bike in about 2 maybe 3 years tops, and or will simply lose desire to compete when his interests changes to something else.

Having said that here is a few bikes that can work, I'm am not in Europe so some of these bikes may not be available but some should be. Fuji Ace 20, Fuji F95 Jr, Specialized Junior Allez, Redline Conquest, Blue 2Four, Louis Garneau GO 2.4, Felt F24, Giant makes several the TCR (TCX too) Espoir 24, XTC Jr 24 Lite (this is the one I bought my grandson but it only a one speed front gear which is fine with me since he's learning how to shift and we don't have mountains).

I know these are road bikes but like I said earlier they can be converted, see: http://www.bicycling.com/racing/us-...-to-turn-your-road-bike-into-tri-bike/slide/5

Also women specific bikes come in smaller sizes than for men and some of those will fit a youth as well which could open a wide assortment of bikes.

atbman

Veteran
Our kids club members have used our Luath 700s with cross or road tyres for 'cross and road races, duathlons and triathlons. They're cheaper than the Kona Jake and they're fitted with additional 'cross levers. You can also pick them up on eBay. Her website is a fund of info of all kinds relating to kids bikes, sizing and usage, not to mention setting them up. There's also a 90 day returns policy.

Shortandcrisp

Über Member
If your lad is serious about competing then, it seems to me, you'd be best advised to get a bike that fits properly, even if that means a bit of a financial hit.

Worst thing to do would be to get something 'he'll grow into.' Never be able to compete properly on a bike that's too big and probably guaranteed to hack him off.

You can always sell the old bike on towards the cost of a larger version as he grows.

My youngest lad was small for his age at 14. I bought him a secondhand Woman's Cannondale Synapse. He loved it and it fitted a treat; so much so that when he grew and I said he could 'borrow' my Caad 10, after a few rides, he went back to the Synapse.

So that's the route I would go. Decent secondhand woman's specific bike and add some tri bars for competing.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
@Chris 2014 - if yours is doing cross then something like an Islabike Luath 700 would cover both. These hold their value secondhand.

However if he's properly into racing triathlons then a cross bike won't be anywhere near quick enough: you'll need a road-specific bike for that as the Luath (and any cross bike) is always a compromise - sorry!

My 12yo uses both a standard road bike (an Argon Krypton plus a Giant TCR as a 'trainer') for racing and then a cross bike (his is a basic Formeula 700).

S-Express

@SimonB's son will be along in a mo to tell us how he is getting on at university....

:laugh::laugh: He'll be in second year now..

To the guy who dug up the thread - it is simply not feasible to have a bike suitable for competing in both triathlons and XC (presume you mean MTB - if not, what do you mean?). The two disciplines demand entirely different bike types, as you must surely realise.

jay clock

Massive member
:laugh::laugh: He'll be in second year now..

To the guy who dug up the thread - it is simply not feasible to have a bike suitable for competing in both triathlons and XC (presume you mean MTB - if not, what do you mean?). The two disciplines demand entirely different bike types, as you must surely realise.
it is 100% possible and happens all the time in children's events. Many of the events on grass are not even do-able on a road bike. I have done 30+ triathlons as an adult and even there you see the occasional hybrid or mtb where people are "having a go". I am on my 4th Ironman and would be as happy on a £300 entry level bike as I would on a TT bike or pricey road bike.

The idea of kids triathlon is getting them out there being active and having fun. The non suspension Islabikes are very common with light tyres and no mudguards etc.

S-Express

it is 100% possible and happens all the time in children's events. Many of the events on grass are not even do-able on a road bike. I have done 30+ triathlons as an adult and even there you see the occasional hybrid or mtb where people are "having a go". I am on my 4th Ironman and would be as happy on a £300 entry level bike as I would on a TT bike or pricey road bike.

The idea of kids triathlon is getting them out there being active and having fun. The non suspension Islabikes are very common with light tyres and no mudguards etc.

Here's a pic from a Tristar 3 event (11-12 age group). Of course the lad could ride it on an MTB - but a bike for both tri and MTB is going to be a massive compromise for one or the other and there's no getting away from that.

08B2499.jpg

jay clock

Massive member
blimey, hard core. And looks like at least two of them are in cycling shoes

is drafting allowed for them?

S-Express

I hope not. It's bad enough when adult triathletes try group riding. Can't imagine the kids would fare much better, especially when all three of them in the pic appear to be applying the front brake while leaning in to a damp corner.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
blimey, hard core. And looks like at least two of them are in cycling shoes

I hope not. It's bad enough when adult triathletes try group riding. Can't imagine the kids would fare much better, especially when all three of them in the pic appear to be applying the front brake while leaning in to a damp corner.

Apparently yes, drafting in kids triathlons is fine. They'll be clipless as well, often from the age of 6-7.

Just be aware that the kids doing triathlons often also do bike racing alongside this. My youngest's got some junior triathletes training with his club and they'll be drafting and racing - borrowed photo below of the U10's in Doncaster this year where all of them are on road bikes and clipless:

13442546_199943620406322_296252644182054900_o.jpg

Top Bottom