Bike for Mrs - commuter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bianco

Hi everyone!

I'm wanting a bike for the Mrs to commute on. We both like the look of the carrera subway 2 but won't be able to afford it for a couple of weeks.

Can anyone else recommend any thing else budget at a max of £300 and she really wants discs as we live on a big downhill and is going through a pair of blocks every 2-3 weeks on her existing bike.

Reason for upgrade is that existing bike is a £70 decathlon job and pretty much all components are starting to fail, we just want a good solid bike.

Advice appreciated in thanks!

Martin and Wife

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Whooo what sort of blocks are you going through in a couple of weeks... argh...

To be honest the subways look really good as a commuter - ticks all the boxes..but do look after it - bikes aren't like cars -you have to maintain them... wash, lube and stuff..

But if you aren't sure...just ask away on here - we're happy to help.. !

OP
OP
B

bianco

Cheers fossyant, I'm a bit too clean with my bikes if that can be and maintain them excessively well.

The blocks we've tried are Kool Stops, Halfords own, Clarks and the worst were the ones that came with the bike.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Bianco, if you've an Edinburgh Bike Co-op near you, the Courier and Courier race are always highly rated commuting bikes. Both are hybrid style bikes, with the courier race having 700C (rather than 26") wheels. They come in at £249 and £279 respectively.

col

Legendary Member
I have to recommend the halfords carrera range,iv had one for a while,and other than changing the bottom bracket for a sealed £20 one,has been a good bike.Sounds a bit bad,your break blocks only lasting 2 or 3 weeks?Never changed mine yet,and still work fine.

bonj2

what do you define as 'going through' them Martin, a little bit worn, or worn to smithereens? :smile: 'cos they are 'allowed' (read: 'supposed') to show signs of wear while still having lots of life left in them...it's when the amount they've worn down by actually shortens the length of them that you need to definitely change them.
i.e.:
brakeblockwear.jpg

Having said that, I can vouch for carrera subway 2, i used to have one. although i did 'MTB-ise' it.

OP
OP
B

bianco

They tend to be worn to smithereens as you put it bonj.

I'm thinking this is down to the poor quality rims though?

Top Bottom