Bike for my wife

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChrisV

Formerly CC2014
My wife is interested in a cheap women's hybrid to join me and the kids on the canal path. Nothing serious.

There is a 2nd hand Giant Cypress DX online for £120 which is about 6/7 years old but good condition (not actually seen the bike) or an Appollo Excelle from Halfords for the same money.

For what she wants it for, is it better to go for the older 2nd hand one or a new bike from a cheap manufacturer. She doesn't have my passion for cycling so just wants to buy and use :laugh:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Don't buy the Appollo! If the second hand bike is in good condition and has been looked after go for that. But you do need to know that there are no faults with it, they can end up costing money if well worn.

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
Do either of you work at relatively large companies? We get bikes come up on the internal announcement board all the time here, most often worthy purchases that have seen little to no use. If you are allowed to do them then a post the other way 'looking for a bike, anyone got anything suitable they are thinking of selling?' could chivvy someone in to selling an unused one that's just taking up room in their garage.

If it's not going to be used often, and especially if you're comfortable doing a bit of precautionary servicing work, I'd go second hand and look at the money saved as a down payment on something better (or upgrades) if she gets the bug.

Top Bottom