Bike for sale

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fixedfixer

Veteran
If selling the value is what someone will pay.
If buying it's how much you want to pay for that particular bike.
Is it the right price? Only you can decide.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Clicking around the completed and sold listings and doing a few similar searches makes me think it's an OK but slightly high price - It looks to me like a Raleigh Europa in team colours that maybe someone's upgraded, rather than a Raleigh Tour de France team bike which I think would be worth much more (and I think used Reynolds tubing and Campagnolo derailleur), but maybe @raleighnut or someone knows more.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Clicking around the completed and sold listings and doing a few similar searches makes me think it's an OK but slightly high price - It looks to me like a Raleigh Europa in team colours that maybe someone's upgraded, rather than a Raleigh Tour de France team bike which I think would be worth much more (and I think used Reynolds tubing and Campagnolo derailleur), but maybe @raleighnut or someone knows more.
It's a basic Hi-Tensile Team Replica, nice enough but nothing special and a bit 'London' on the price IMO. @biggs682 would have more idea on what they're fetching but I've rescued better from the scrap man.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
It's a basic Hi-Tensile Team Replica, nice enough but nothing special and a bit 'London' on the price IMO. @biggs682 would have more idea on what they're fetching but I've rescued better from the scrap man.

@woodbutcher its plain gauge as @raleighnut states so not mega valuable but they have a strong following and hankering i would say no more than £60 would be limit but then i am a tight old git

raleighnut

Legendary Member
@woodbutcher its plain gauge as @raleighnut states so not mega valuable but they have a strong following and hankering i would say no more than £60 would be limit but then i am a tight old git
I'd have been a bit more generous (but not much) Maybe Raleigh bikes are seen as 'exotic' in France much as Peugeot's are in the UK (I've ridden a couple of Pugs and really disliked the handling., twitchy things I've found)

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
Wow thats telling me....maybe l should comment along those lines to the French vendor, HaHa!

Reactions: mjr

fixedfixer

Veteran
like the Banana's i dont rate them either yet they fetch really stupid money

I had a Banana bike and about twenty years ago couldn't get more that £30 for it and it was in A1 condition and working order.

(I've ridden a couple of Pugs and really disliked the handling., twitchy things I've found)

I had a Peugeot AE8 as a first new bike as a teenager. It took me on my first four European Cycle tours whilst I was a student. There is a photo of it somewhere linked to @DCLane 's threads. Maybe didn't know better in those days but I liked the handling and some of the quirky stuff like 'chrome' metal mudguards.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
just need to get something off my chest on the subject of Colnago bikes i.e. are they really that superior to other high end bikes. The reason last is because l have a feeling that l mucked upload light by being out bid for the attached !http://www.ebay.fr/itm/222396041458?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:blush:T
No idea if they're that superior because I've never tried one, but they do seem to often change hands for more than I'd expect almost any similar bike except Pinarello - dearer than Bianchi or De Rosa which I'd have in preference to it. Markets and artists, huh? :laugh:

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
No idea if they're that superior because I've never tried one, but they do seem to often change hands for more than I'd expect almost any similar bike except Pinarello - dearer than Bianchi or De Rosa which I'd have in preference to it. Markets and artists, huh? :laugh:
Absolutely right....easy to fall for the hype !

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Wow thats telling me....maybe l should comment along those lines to the French vendor, HaHa!
Originally this was a scrap-man job, I gave him a tenner for it then rebuilt it to my spec including new wheels (converted from 26x 1 3/8 to 700c rims handbuilt onto the SA rear hub with the front dynohub salvaged from an old wheel) and new crank/pedals, handlebars, grips and an old saddle for less than the Team Raleigh Replica.
DSCN0038.JPG

Whereas I spent a lot more building up my Equipe but that was done using much higher spec components but is likely to be pretty much the same frame as the Team Replica (Raleigh were very good at just painting the same frames in different colour schemes and selling them as different bikes)

002.JPG

(click on thumbnail for full picture)

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
Originally this was a scrap-man job, I gave him a tenner for it then rebuilt it to my spec including new wheels (converted from 26x 1 3/8 to 700c rims handbuilt onto the SA rear hub with the front dynohub salvaged from an old wheel) and new crank/pedals, handlebars, grips and an old saddle for less than the Team Raleigh Replica.
View attachment 336859

Whereas I spent a lot more building up my Equipe but that was done using much higher spec components but is likely to be pretty much the same frame as the Team Replica (Raleigh were very good at just painting the same frames in different colour schemes and selling them as different bikes)

View attachment 336860

(click on thumbnail for full picture)
Thats food for thought, when l finish the Carlton l will look around for a half decent frame and take it from there, after all half the fun is building something for very little cash but a fair bit of work and for someone as inexperienced as l am it 'll be a good way to learn (l hope)

Top Bottom