Bike For Wife

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mangid

Guru
So it's time to get the wife a new bike. She currently has a Spesh Sirrus Hybrid Pro (maybe 10 years old), but I might have persuaded her to go for drops. She gets out for a 14-20 mile spin most days, but it's around Cambridge so fairly flat. I'm thinking that 1x11 would be good, I don't think she moves out of the middle ring much.

So, 1x11 (Sram Force 1?), must be able to take mudguards, and drops. Any pointers, I'm finding it fairly hard to find something ....

vickster

Legendary Member
Look at the Whyte range?

Planet X offer some 1x11 options, but they are more gravel type bikes, rather than race bikes

E.g. https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXLDNRIV1/planet-x-london-road-sram-rival-1-hydraulic-disc-road-bike

Why do you need Force? Rival would surely be more than enough

Otherwise, you could do a build?

What's the budget?

The Rondo gravel bikes from Sigma are extremely lush, esp the green steelie

https://www.sigmasports.com/brand/rondo

Best of all ask her what she wants and help her find it :smile:

Last edited:
And I thought you meant you'd be swapping your wife for a bike!

Drops aren't necessarily an advantage if she's not too bothered about going hell for leather on the downhills. Comfort and practicality would be more important, in my opinion.

Also if she's a bit older, being on the drops for long periods might give her a sore back if she's not used to it.

As long as she enjoys it, though.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I wouldn't touch anything with a single front ring and 11 cogs on the back. It's asking for future maintenance issues due to extreme chainlines and accelerated wear. At least with a double or triple front chainset you can keep the chainline sensible and still be able to use most of the gears other than the large/large and small/small combinations. I see 1 x 11 as nothing more than a pointless gimmick, just like a lot of modern bike design. The industry are happy to sell stuff to punters that will wear prematurely, as it means future extra replacement parts sales to them. Try pricing up an 11 speed rear cluster and compare it with a 6 speed unit commonly found on basic MTB's and hybrids!

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
As a supportive hubby you will of course ask her what she would like, then help her to find a few bikes to have a test ride on ^_^
Is a set up 1x11 not very expensive for components like cassettes?
14/20 miles most days are what, 3500 miles a year?
One chain or 2 a year then, maybe a new cassette if, like me, she tends to use only 2 gears on fairly flat terrain.
Does she like to pick up last minute shopping on a ride, or go for picnics?
Rack and panniers then are a must.
Imo, if this new bike is for going on long hilly routes with you, then she needs to think about gears, drops, long distance comfort.
If she uses her bike only around Cambridge (I've never been, how flat is flat lol), picking something easy to maintain, fun to ride, that she likes the look of, would be my priority.
Riding habits need to be considered too: for example, I tend to ride on paths, cut trough parks, pot holey lanes more than on smooth roads.
I want to ride in normal trousers/leggings, non padded.
Hence I need clearance for at least 35cc tyres, my favorite are 26x2.00 ^_^

Sharky

Guru
I wouldn't touch anything with a single front ring and 11 cogs on the back. It's asking for future maintenance issues due to extreme chainlines and accelerated wear. At least with a double or triple front chainset you can keep the chainline sensible and still be able to use most of the gears other than the large/large and small/small combinations. I see 1 x 11 as nothing more than a pointless gimmick, just like a lot of modern bike design. The industry are happy to sell stuff to punters that will wear prematurely, as it means future extra replacement parts sales to them. Try pricing up an 11 speed rear cluster and compare it with a 6 speed unit commonly found on basic MTB's and hybrids!
Just to give an alternative viewpoint. I've gone from 3x9 setup to 2x9 and then to a 1x10 and I must say that I prefer the latter. The simplicity of using just one lever to change up/down is quite refreshing. And I dont find there is a "cross chaining" issue.

Tin Pot

Guru
No asking Wife!

Just Buy!

https://www.vintagevelo.co.uk/shop/uncategorized/cinelli-gazzetta-della-strada/
td960l_02.jpg

pawl

Legendary Member
So it's time to get the wife a new bike. She currently has a Spesh Sirrus Hybrid Pro (maybe 10 years old), but I might have persuaded her to go for drops. She gets out for a 14-20 mile spin most days, but it's around Cambridge so fairly flat. I'm thinking that 1x11 would be good, I don't think she moves out of the middle ring much.

So, 1x11 (Sram Force 1?), must be able to take mudguards, and drops. Any pointers, I'm finding it fairly hard to find something ....

What bike shops are are doing this swop

OP
OP
mangid

mangid

Guru
And I thought you meant you'd be swapping your wife for a bike!

Drops aren't necessarily an advantage if she's not too bothered about going hell for leather on the downhills. Comfort and practicality would be more important, in my opinion.

Also if she's a bit older, being on the drops for long periods might give her a sore back if she's not used to it.

As long as she enjoys it, though.

You're right, I could well be pushing an agenda there, I tend to appreciate being able to move around a bit.

OP
OP
mangid

mangid

Guru
As a supportive hubby you will of course ask her what she would like, then help her to find a few bikes to have a test ride on ^_^
Is a set up 1x11 not very expensive for components like cassettes?
14/20 miles most days are what, 3500 miles a year?
One chain or 2 a year then, maybe a new cassette if, like me, she tends to use only 2 gears on fairly flat terrain.
Does she like to pick up last minute shopping on a ride, or go for picnics?
Rack and panniers then are a must.
Imo, if this new bike is for going on long hilly routes with you, then she needs to think about gears, drops, long distance comfort.
If she uses her bike only around Cambridge (I've never been, how flat is flat lol), picking something easy to maintain, fun to ride, that she likes the look of, would be my priority.
Riding habits need to be considered too: for example, I tend to ride on paths, cut trough parks, pot holey lanes more than on smooth roads.
I want to ride in normal trousers/leggings, non padded.
Hence I need clearance for at least 35cc tyres, my favorite are 26x2.00 ^_^

Not sure about the expense, I've got 1x11 apex on my new N+1 shopping/around town bike, and am loving it. Not really that concerned about costs, and appreciate it being easier to maintain.clean (which will be my duty, on tops of all the other bikes in garage).

Unlikely to be long hilly routes with me, well at the moment, maybe a tandem :-)

She has a commuting/shopping bike with rack and panniers, this is more for exercise. I do get called out from work to be bicycle repair man, so maybe tubeless is a good idea,

OP
OP
mangid

mangid

Guru
Just to give an alternative viewpoint. I've gone from 3x9 setup to 2x9 and then to a 1x10 and I must say that I prefer the latter. The simplicity of using just one lever to change up/down is quite refreshing. And I dont find there is a "cross chaining" issue.

Yep, I got a PlanetX Full Monty 1x11 recently, and am getting on fine with it, and it's one less thing to clean and maintain (indeed it's easier to clean the bike because the front mech isn't in the way of the chainring).

Top Bottom