bike frame sizing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
normally ride a 54 TT frame and a 90 stem , i have been looking at the wiggle road frame as i have won a £100 wiggle voucher and they have the frame and forks for 139 quid but they dont have that size only a s 52 TT or a 54.7
would the smaller of the two be ok ?
i pretty much have all the parts bar a headset to build another bike

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
The 52 is only effectively 5mm smaller than a 54, could probably put a 90mm stem on that and never notice

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

The 52 is only effectively 5mm smaller than a 54, could probably put a 90mm stem on that and never notice
sorry i meant the smaller size is 52.3 TT the size i normaly ride is 54 with a 90 and the next size up is a 54.7 so im tempted to go with the smaller size and a 100 stem maybe dependent on reach of the bars i have as a i have another bike the same 54 TT with a 110 stem as that one has short reach bars

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

this is my current geometry i have a 54 sm

Given the seat tube sizing is quite different 515 vs 460 you’ll have an awful lot of seatpost Showing. My Wiggins has a 400mm one seatpost and about 320 is showing.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I'd go for the bigger one. The 52 looks like it's sized for a kid not a grown man. I rode a bigger frame than that when I was 10 or 11, and I wasn't as tall then as you are now.
When I see grown-ups riding bikes with a foot of seatpost sticking out I just think "why don't you get yourself a bike that actually fits you?"

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

I'd go for the bigger one. The 52 looks like it's sized for a kid not a grown man. I rode a bigger frame than that when I was 10 or 11, and I wasn't as tall then as you are now.
When I see grown-ups riding bikes with a foot of seatpost sticking out I just think "why don't you get yourself a bike that actually fits you?"
i havent decided yet , heck i havent got the voucher yet so its just a thought :smile:

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
If the frame ends up being £39 with voucher and you've got a spare set of mechanicals kicking around, then it'll be a very cheap project if you've got a use for it. I always go for the biggest size with the tallest head tube I can comfortably fit so I can get the bar height up to a sensible level. I don't do with stem slamming and riding round looking down at the ground in front of the wheel.

Paul_Smith SRCC

www.plsmith.co.uk
If you have time and enjoy some free technology you could draw your current bike on BikeCAD free then compare that to Brand X RD-01 52 and 54cm; I've just drawn those up and added them to their Design Archive.

If that appeals before you do anything create your free account so that you can save your drawing when finished. You can start with either their quick start drawing, or any from their design archive that includes mine above. Whatever drawing you start with in each case you can edit and save to your free account as your own drawing and keep it 'private' or make 'public' as desired. When you have found the drawing you want to start with simply click on the green "open in BikeCAD' tab, note as they correctly state "it can take several minutes to load". Although the free version as you'd expect offers less than their Pro Version if you draw up your current bike you may find it of use. Boardman will no doubt have that yellow bike geometry listed, simply edit and save one of my Brand X Drawings

Normally the free version works best if you do not display the chain and rear derailleur, plus even though technically you can I would not try and upload any brand logos as it is inclined to crash; adding text to frame and components as I have done in the example above is not a problem. I have a few tips on my own BikeCAD blog that may help, there is also quite a lot of useful Videos they publish on youtube

Last edited:
OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

If you have time and enjoy some free technology you could draw your current bike on BikeCAD free then compare that to Brand X RD-01 52 and 54cm; I've just drawn those up and added them to their Design Archive.

View attachment 563173

View attachment 563174

If that appeals before you do anything create your free account so that you can save your drawing when finished. You can start with either their quick start drawing, or any from their design archive that includes mine above. Whatever drawing you start with in each case you can edit and save to your free account as your own drawing and keep it 'private' or make 'public' as desired. When you have found the drawing you want to start with simply click on the green "open in BikeCAD' tab, note as they correctly state "it can take several minutes to load". Although the free version as you'd expect offers less than their Pro Version if you draw up your current bike you may find it of use.

Normally the free version works best if you do not display the chain and rear derailleur, plus even though technically you can I would not try and upload any brand logos as it is inclined to crash; adding text to frame and components as I have done in the example above is not a problem. I have a few tips on my own BikeCAD blog that may help, there is also quite a lot of useful Videos they publish on youtube
doesnt work for me stuck in endless loop when loading the cad

Paul_Smith SRCC

www.plsmith.co.uk
That's a shame; works on every computer I have ever tried the free version on.

I have used Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge and Firefox and all take a few minutes to load, I normally don't run anything else while it is loading and make myself a cup of tea while it loads. I have just timed my two laptops, with with 4gb ram the other with 16gb ram and they took 1 min 52 seconds and 1 min 25 seconds respectively, running nothing else as they were loading. To fair not much visibly happens when they load so it is tempting to give up.

Just in case you do get it working I have added another based on your post at 06.10, they don't give quite as much data as Wiggle do but it may still help.

Last edited:
Top Bottom