Bike got stolen, got Halford Voucher. Which to get? (Hybrid)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Grizzler

Hello!

I am looking for some advice in terms of what bike to get.

I got a Crossfire 3 through the cyclescheme from Cyclerepublic in September last year, but unfortunatley it was stolen and I have now gotten a voucher for £440 from the insurance company to spend at Halfords.

Halfords dosen't have the bike in stock currently, so I am looking at alternatives.

I am going to use the bike mainly on roads, but also a bit off-road like canal paths and the like (no mountain tracks). So thats the reason I choose Crossfire 3 in the first place as it had suspension which I could also turn off (lock out?) when not needed.

I am struggling to find a bike within the range that has suspenions, but maybe it's just a waste of weight and energy? I have had a look at Voodoo Marasa as an option.. but then again no suspension sort of puts me off..

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

vickster

Legendary Member
What do Halfords actually have in stock in your size?
If you ride on roads and paths, no suspension needed, just a bike with decent width tyres should more than suffice

Reactions: C R

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Just looking on their site, if it was me then I'd go for the Voodoo Marasa if they have it in stock (you'd have to put a tenner towards it). That's just going on the brand and the fact that they do higher end MTBs. I know nothing about the build quality etc.

OP
OP
G

Grizzler

Think they have the voodoo in stock.

Yeah, I'm leaning more towards maybe not getting an suspension, it will mainly be canal paths it would be used for when I would need them, but that could be excessive. So maybe Marasa would do..

si_c

Guru
I wouldn't go for suspension either l, certainly not at that price point as a rigid fork will be much lighter and more comfortable

mustang1

Guru
Like the others, I would say no suspension should not be a dela breaker as long as you have wide tyres. I have Carrera parva from Halfords which was in the £200 range and it's fine on canal paths.

The thing is if you really want suspension and if you buy a bike without, then you may not be entirely happy with your purchase because you will be thinking about it.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
The practice of fitting suspension forks to bikes that are not actually used for serious off road use is just a marketing gimmick designed to hook unwary buyers who have become used to seeing BSO's with suspension.
With bikes, more bling is often less overall quality and less bling is more reliability.
I do a fairly high proportion of off-tarmac miles, and 100% of all my mileage on or off tarmac is done on fully rigid steel frames. Suspension is just energy-absorbing dead weight.

OP
OP
G

Grizzler

Ok, thanks for your input guys.

I think I might go for this then: https://www.halfords.com/bikes/moun...s-hybrid-bike----18in-20in-frames-445471.html

It looks like they are launching the 2020 version of Crossfire 3 again end of June though, but I am not sure I want to wait that long and as you said I probably do't need suspension.

https://www.halfords.com/bikes/hybr...d-bike-2020---grey---s-m-l-frames-346094.html

One thing that I am am a bit suprised about is that the Marasa is heavier or about the same weight as the Crossfire 3 without the added of suspension

si_c

Guru
Ok, thanks for your input guys.

I think I might go for this then: https://www.halfords.com/bikes/moun...s-hybrid-bike----18in-20in-frames-445471.html

It looks like they are launching the 2020 version of Crossfire 3 again end of June though, but I am not sure I want to wait that long and as you said I probably do't need suspension.

https://www.halfords.com/bikes/hybr...d-bike-2020---grey---s-m-l-frames-346094.html

One thing that I am am a bit suprised about is that the Marasa is heavier or about the same weight as the Crossfire 3 without the added of suspension
Looks to be about 2kg lighter, so nothing to be sniffed at and comparable to the weight reduction from dropping the suspension.

The practice of fitting suspension forks to bikes that are not actually used for serious off road use is just a marketing gimmick designed to hook unwary buyers who have become used to seeing BSO's with suspension.
With bikes, more bling is often less overall quality and less bling is more reliability.
I do a fairly high proportion of off-tarmac miles, and 100% of all my mileage on or off tarmac is done on fully rigid steel frames. Suspension is just energy-absorbing dead weight.
Same here upto 50% off road Santos travelmasters no suspension. The kalkhoff has suspension but that's been locked out since I bought it.
I carry enough crap round with me without adding to it.

Top Bottom