bike hire for lochs & Glens route

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi all you experienced Glasgow to Inverness people
I was going to fly my bike to Glasgow for this, but it would cost £45 return flight, and as the tour is only over 4 days I thought I might as well hire one. Do you knowof a good, not too pricey hire place, somewhere near the route please ?
Cheers, macthebike

coopman

http://www.cyclerepairman.fsnet.co.uk
http://magiccycles.co.uk/default.aspx

these are 2 places I have noted on the cycle tracks round me, though I cant vouch for them as I have never hired. the ayr one(first link) has an outlet at lochwinnoch (closer to glasgow) and they say they hire pannier equipped bikes for holidays. Lochwinnoch is Just a short ride from glasgow, but if you are doing the lochs and glens north, you would go from lochwinnoch to johnstone then direct to erskine bridge and rejoin the route north rather than going back to glasgow.
http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/257406
The 2nd link, the bike shop is actually on the route.
Both are easily accessible by train, if you fly in to prestwick, ayr or lochwinnoch are easy enough to reach by train.
Though I suspect the bike hire will be more than 45quid for the 4-5 days you will have it. Have you thought about the train, you are very close to wolverhampton, where you can get virgin trains direct to glasgow, and if you book early, prices can be quite reasonable, and according to website, its no problem to carry bikes as long as you book in advance.
When are you thinking of doing the ride, did it myself last year (first tour) and really enjoyed it despite the rain.

May just be my maths.....

Surely if you were to add the train fares to collect a bike and return to the start to the hire fee - then you must be talking at least the same price as taking your own bike.

soulful dog

Veteran
If you're starting out in Glasgow, I remember seeing a bike hire sign outside West End Cycles. They don't have a website, but a quick search brings up the following (from http://www.highlandtraveller.com/sport/cycling/bikehire.htm) - though not sure how current it is. Seems likely that as everyone else has mentioned, you'd be as well bringing your own bike.

West End Cycles
16-18 Chancellor Street, Partick, Glasgow, Tel: 0141 357 1344
Touring and off-road bikes
Daily hire: 10 to 15 pounds
Weekly hire: 45 to 55 pounds
Deposit required
Email: j.allan@btinternet.com

OP
OP
M

macthebike

To hire or not to hire(Lochs and Glens)

hi Cunobelin, I`m flying cheapfrom B`ham to Glasgow. Train is dearer even with free bike carriage. Bike on plane costs £45 return, so I thought hire for £50 would be agood deal and save airport hassle.Cheers

coopman

Not sure who you are flying cheap with, so this may not be relevant to you, but I imagine all the budget carriers to be similiar.
Looked into taking bike myself on plane, but even with the extra payment it counted as your one bag at 20 kg, so if you had another bag that was not in with the bike box that would be extra, plus the extra weight. ie the payment for the bike did not include the weight above and beyond the 20kg allowed for 1 passenger, and they charge quite a bit for extra weight! A boxed bike with your gear is bound to exceed 20kg. Also there is a clause that says they are carried on a standby basis if there is space in hold. So all in all its a load of hassle for a short trip! I see where you are coming from with the hire idea. I dont know what your budget is, but there is def something to be said for having the comfort of your own bike for a few extra quid on train, or is that just me?

OP
OP
M

macthebike

bike hire..Lochs and Glens

high Coopman, I`m flying Flybe. Much cheaper than train, even allowing for bike carriage.
My method when flying with bike is to use a transparent bag and drop it over the bike, keeping the wheels on...for handlers to wheel instead of throw.For further economy all my goods,except essentials, go in the panniers with the bike, total weight less than 20 kg.

Thanks for tips on hirers...will follow up.

coopman

wow, im impressed, bike and gear under 20kg! Not sure I could manage that, I did Glasgow to Inverness last year with 20 litre panniers and Im sure bike and gear would of topped 20kg, though your bike might be lighter than mine.
flybe still have a clause saying they will only carry bike if space, I wonder how often they would not have space?
Its a great run, hope you enjoy it, when are you planning on doing it?

Top Bottom