Bike identification: help please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
In a fit of lockdown inspired boredom my father has retrieved his boyhood bike from the shed. I was wondering if anyone could held identify this wreck? Some of the components date from the 60s (Campagnolo Gran Sport) when he acquired it and painted it (badly) however the frame was considerably older, either interwar or immediately post war, unfortunately he can't remember what it was. The lamp bracket has a plain R on it (Rudge? Raleigh?) Anyway sorry it isn't much to go on. Here's some pictures of it. Sorry it isn't much to go on, but any help greatly

appreciated.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Welcome @Uptowntopranking
I would say pre 50's with the clip headset .
Looks a nice ride .
I would check around the top of the seat post or rear drop outs for any stamped numbers and or letters so might need to remove some paint carefully .

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Looks like it could be a Raleigh Lenton. I can see a head badge but you’ve managed to cover it up in the photos. As you say it’s had quite a few modifications, brakes, gears and wheels. Looks like the frame is the only original part. Any numbers on the bottom bracket?
What are your plans for it?

Edit: Don’t think its a Lenton, forks. are wrong.

Last edited:

midlife

Guru
The head clip really gives away its age, way before my time lol There have been additions over the years I guess, the campag rear mech looks 60's.

Once a Wheeler

…always a wheeler
Nice pedals. Very unusual cable stop for the front centrepull — it is usually a clip secured in the head-set rather than an extension fitting. I would guess 1950s with a lot of later additions, including those centrepulls. The headplate should reveal the frame maker.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
After a bit of resear I reckon it could be a Rudge. Those sloping crown forks are identical.

Lugs are not the same so maybe another model. Could also be a BSA which also used those forks.

OP
OP
U
Hi there, alas the head badge isn't original, it's a sticker my dad stuck on from the 1960s. He intends to ride it locally I think, I'll get him to look for a frame number so far.

The help has been really great so far! Thanks ever so much!

midlife

Guru
The sloping fork was usually a "cap" of chromed metal slipped over the fork crown. Sometimes had slots cut in. Blimey I had forgotten about them LOL.

Top Bottom