bike in for service

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PBancroft

I've never learned how to service my bike myself - I really should. At the most I can degrease and lube my chain, change tyres... and that's about it. Anything to do with adjusting brakes and gears and I'm stumped.

I've even got the Haynes manual. I should be able to do this. But I just look at the bike and my brain capsizes.

What I need is for someone to take me through the ropes. I'll see if I can accost someone at work one day next week for an evening's tutorial.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
jimboalee said:
goo_mason.
You say your seatpost creaks. It might not be the clamp joint if it only creaks after a damp session. It might be the 'spare' seatpost below the clamp.
Next time the seatpost is out, widen the frame lug a little. Wrap a couple of turns of PTFE tape around the length of post that will be below the clamp. Ease in gently ( funerf ). Don't grease. Tighten the clamp around a clean, dry post. Spray with funiture polish.

See if that does the trick.

Thanks, Jimbo.

When you say 'widen the frame lug a little', what do you mean exactly ?

I'll have to go looking for some PTFE tape as I'll give anything a go.

I do find wetness and grit down between the shim and the seat tube when it's started creaking, and the creak always goes after a clean and regrease - so my other 'test' after your suggestion will be the 'old inner tube' sleeve to cover the seatpost / tube join and keep it dry.

jimboalee

Creaks are usually metal moving against metal. There must be a solid grip on the seatpost, or it will slide. The part of the seatpost in the seat tube that is not being held tight will be rubbed against by the frame. All of the frame flexes about when we ride. The construction of a bike frame is similar to a musical instrument. The insignificant tiny sound of the movement of a bit that shouldn't, is amplified many fold. A seatpost creak, which is totally harmless but very annoying, will sound like the seatstays are coming adrift.

There is of course 'Copperease' motor car brake antisqueal compound. Illegal in California, but I have half a tube.....Shussssh.
Carefully apply on the inside of the seat tube well below the clamp with a lolly ( popsicle ) stick.

robz400

I thought my bike needed a service the other day after it became inexplicably harder to pedal. I even got off and had a look to check all was well....the conclusion - my legs were tired :sad::blush:;)

Top Bottom