bike in shops?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
But we need more doctors, not fewer
An interesting illustration of how odd the 'rule' I endorse really is: no-one has any problem with 'more', whether we're talking honey or doctors, but going in the other direction, we must distinguish between 'less' and 'fewer' or we might as well go to Tescos. Daft really. And yet correct. :tongue:

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Fair enough, I'm not usually a grammar pedant. It's not an error as such, more a question of preferred usage (and I'm usually in favour of describing usage rather than imposing grammar rules)... as Pinker says: "In cases where "less" and "fewer" are both available, such as "Less/fewer than 20 of the students voted", "fewer" is the better choice because it enhances vividness and concreteness. But that does not mean that "less" is a grammatical error."

That gives me one less fewer - aw fark it - more thing to worry about.

GC

Tim Hall

Fair enough, I'm not usually a grammar pedant. It's not an error as such, more a question of preferred usage (and I'm usually in favour of describing usage rather than imposing grammar rules)... as Pinker says: "In cases where "less" and "fewer" are both available, such as "Less/fewer than 20 of the students voted", "fewer" is the better choice because it enhances vividness and concreteness. But that does not mean that "less" is a grammatical error."
I had a similar conversation with The Boy last night. A voice on the radio said "less whatevers." "Fewer" I snapped. "Yes" said The Boy, "but did you understand perfectly the meaning he was trying to convey?" I stopped his pocket money as a punishment.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Would u take ur bike into a shop ( a big Tesco) ,I'm just home from one and there was a guy walking down the aisle pushing his bike , he had cycling shoes on so rather than leave it outside he walked inside pushing it with small basket in other hand
I've thought about in but bailed out in the end .

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I wouldn't take my bike in without asking first if it was a non-bike shop. And would fully expect a "No".
Prams/wheelchairs/trolleys might be considered exempt due to the fact that they bear a practical use to the customer.

A bit like why pet dogs aren't allowed in shops but guide dogs are.

Top Bottom