bike in shops?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jim55

Guru
Would u take ur bike into a shop ( a big Tesco) ,I'm just home from one and there was a guy walking down the aisle pushing his bike , he had cycling shoes on so rather than leave it outside he walked inside pushing it with small basket in other hand

I used to take mine inside the local Co-Op, if I called on way to/coming home from work, & just leave it near the Tills
Sadly, it's now closed, due to excessive competition from a nearby ASDA & Lidl
Thankfully, it seems that the majority of the staff are to be retained by the company that's taken over the building (B&M)

Staff were used to me doing so, but some of the local 'yoofs' would take the mickey, & push their heaps around the shop, & in some caase even ride their scooters round the aisles

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I take my bike into the local Aldi and prop it up against some pallets while i shop. They don't seem to mind. Maybe because they don't provide a safe cycle parking area? The local Tesco are ok about bikes when i've been in around 10pm, but try to leave it in the store during the day and jobsworth will confront you,

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
[QUOTE 4254744, member: 76"]"Oh actually it has less wheels than a wheelchair or a trolley doesn't it? Sorry mate".[/QUOTE]
You could have corrected his grammar (less to fewer) just to bolster the defence of the moral high ground...

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I once went into Sainsburys on Fosse Park in Leicester at 7:15 on a Friday morning (just finished a 12hr night shift) with my bike to get a bottle of Single Malt (the weekend starts here)
The Booze is at the far end of the shop and I noticed about halfway that an overweight security guard was following me so carried on walking briskly to the correct aisle, went in one end, picked up the bottle and went out the other end of the aisle and walked back to the tills. The by now redfaced and puffing guard caught up with me just as the bottle was being scanned (plus I'd got a twenty in my hand to pay for it)and said "Oi you can't bring bikes in ere". "Fair enough" I replied "I'll just pay for this and be off." He just wandered off muttering, bet that was the most exercise he'd had in a while. :becool:

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
You could have corrected his grammar (less to fewer) just to bolster the defence of the moral high ground...
How-English-became-English.jpg

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Fair enough, I'm not usually a grammar pedant. It's not an error as such, more a question of preferred usage (and I'm usually in favour of describing usage rather than imposing grammar rules)... as Pinker says: "In cases where "less" and "fewer" are both available, such as "Less/fewer than 20 of the students voted", "fewer" is the better choice because it enhances vividness and concreteness. But that does not mean that "less" is a grammatical error."

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Fair enough, I'm not usually a grammar pedant. It's not an error as such, more a question of preferred usage (and I'm usually in favour of describing usage rather than imposing grammar rules)... as Pinker says: "In cases where "less" and "fewer" are both available, such as "Less/fewer than 20 of the students voted", "fewer" is the better choice because it enhances vividness and concreteness. But that does not mean that "less" is a grammatical error."
Sorry, I wasn't taking a pop - I was just amused by the clipping. As it happens, I disagree with it! Whatever the historical or other rationale, I still think there's a worthwhile distinction between the expressions, and that you should use less for honey and fewer for doctors.

Top Bottom