Bike info needed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gothika

Hi im new here..i just got this bike and cant find anything on it..all i have to go by is mxl on the front..no other stickers

Attachments

• IMAG3524.jpg
    IMAG3524.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 48
  • IMAG3520.jpg
    IMAG3520.jpg
    187.3 KB · Views: 43

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
The general appearance and one-piece steel cranks combined with a welded frame suggest a fairly cheap import bike from the 80's or 90's. Could be a perfectly good ride, but looks pretty unremarkable.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I'm guessing you're in the US. The name MXL means nothing to me but maybe some of our stateside cousins might have an idea.
The one piece crank suggests a make and price point similar to Huffy.

classic33

Leg End Member
Is the MXL the bicycle manufacturer or the tubing used on the frame?

Pushing it here, but there is an Eddy Merckx MXL.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
As with @Cycleops , I would venture to guess that is a Columbia- built five speed, along the lines of a Sears Free Spirit. It could also be a Huffy. Sears and other department stores bought bicycles mostly from Columbia and Huffy to re-brand with their name. Besides Sears, who sold bicycles under J.C. Higgins, Ted Williams, and Free Spirit Names at different times, also J.C. Penney and Montgomery Ward, Coast to Coast, and other stores had this arrangement, although Sears also had some buy-up models made by Puch, and during the bicycle boom they all had Italian made bicycles, including K-Mart, which had an All-Pro with red, white, and green labeling, instead of red, white and blue labeling, which I believe was made by Chiorda. But this appears to be a basic trade model 5 speed, built to a price point. Reliable, simple, but ungodly heavy and slow. I believe it to be a Columbia, because of the patterns of holes on the dork disc (spoke guard). It could also be a Murray, but they usually didn't have as much rebranding as Columbia and Huffy.

OP
OP
G

Gothika

Thanks for all the info thus far yall

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
That doesn't mean it isn't a perfectly good bicycle, capable of doing anything a bicycle does. What size are the tires? 26" decimal, or 26" fractional? That could eventually be the deal killer. 26" fractional tires(26x1 1/4, 26x1 1 1/2 may be quite harder to come by than 26 x1.5. The rim sizes are different.
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/26.html

Top Bottom