bike info

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rabmor

hi guys my first thread
i have recently been gifted a road bike by a friend. it is badged as an ALLEGRO CYCLES of ENGLAND. Model is TEMPEST. Does anyone have any info on this company or bike. Have tried to find on internet but no luck so far .It is at least 20 years old i think. cheers rab

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
No, but I had one myself until Hilldodger got given it.

It came from a shop in (near?) Halford Street, Leicester (but not Halfords). Boasted of having "Phoenix 101" tubing, which was drawn (correct term?) in West Bromwich, Birmingham. Also claimed to be UK made.

Must have been given it as a Christmas present some time in the mid 1980's.

OP
OP
R

rabmor

thanksfor that BrumJim it does say phoenix 101 tubing on the frame and at least the tubes were made in west brom. thanx again

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Probably a reasonably cheap bike, but not in a BSO type way. I can't imagine my Dad spending large amounts of money on a bike, considering that it would be just transport.

OP
OP
R

rabmor

have now stripped it down intend to get it re-sprayed. but it is red with rigida wheels also its 5 speed..

PpPete

Legendary Member
Phoenix tube ..I remember them.. one of those British companies that couldnt decide where it was going. They kept trying to push steel, and then the next year it would be all stainless steel, then back again.
Closed in late 80's IIRC and plant was all sold to a German company, which went on to be absorbed by Sandvik.

I think I've still got some of their stainless around somewhere, maybe as hanging rail in a wardrobe.

MacQuigley

Just found this site and post. I still have my old Tempest. My dad bought it for me for my 16th birthday back in 1981. It cost £100 From Dales in Glasgow.

At £100, it must have been quite an expensive bike in its day. I used it for years before I gave up cycling. Bought a new bike a few years ago to start offroading but as Ive gradually started riding on the roads again Im thinking of getting the old Tempest out again. Just dont know if its worth spending much on it to upgrade it a bit.

battered

Guru
If it was a £100 bike in 81 then it was OK. Not Dawes Galaxy standard but OK. My Dad bought a Galaxy about that time, he prob paid about £300-400 from memory and it was a thing of some desire.

5 speed and Rigida wheels/rims marks it out as a decent midspec bike, the sort of thing you might be picking up these days for £300-400 and as such a decent tool to do a job without being anything too expensive. As such I wouldn't be investing large sums but getting it running as a runabout, especially if it has history, why not?

MacQuigley

I think I will dig it out tonight and give it a once over. It does need new tyres, that much I remember. It would be interesting to see how I get on with 5 gears again, instead of the 21 gears Ive become use to!

Anyone any suggestions as the best place to buy tyres and other parts I may need? Not had to buy anything for the new bike (yet) so Im not sure where to go for bits.

Top Bottom