bike insurance and my first prang of the year!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sykes

Cycling home last night in primary position behind nice Red jag approaching a set of lights which has enough room to fit one car then it's a yellow box so the guy in the jag decides to stop b4 the yellow box took me by surprise and i shunted into the back of him, tipped me forward and my brakes scratched his bumper.
He got out had a look not a word of concern for me looked at his bumper and said well that was not there b4 and i bet you've got no insurance! so i said no but i'd give him my number and he was more than welcome to give me a call about any damage he said forget it and drove off.
Is there such a thing as cycle insurance that covers this sort of thing?
and should I have got his details?

Few bruses and a scrached new bike oh well better get back on my bike asap!

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
The Cycle Touring Club offers Third party Insurance as part of its membership package and there are a few other policies available as well.

OP
OP
S

sykes

Thanks for that will join the ctc looks like a good thing to be a member of.
hopefull i've learnt my lesson and that won't happen again!:biggrin:

wafflycat

I think you're very, very lucky. Join British Cycling (at least silver level) or CTC and your membership will give you third party insurance (as well as legal support).

But in this case, you rear-ended him, so it's your fault. I think you've got off very lightly in financial terms if you hear no more from the driver.

Emu

Last year I rear ended a smart sports car - the driver didn't even get out to check his car let alone me!

As you're in London you could join the London Cycling Campaign as an alternative to CTC.

OP
OP
S

sykes

Joined the ctc all sorted.
Shame at rear ending a car maybe... the amount of incidents that have been inflicted on me due to bad car drivers still out ways the one time i've been slow on the brakes.

All part of the joy that is London cycling!:biggrin::biggrin:

Tynan

Veteran
I've never ever rear ended a car, hit the sides and fronts of them plenty

I tried my first drafting today with a ever so sightly faster than me cyclist along the featureless wastes of Ferry Lane, bit nervy being that close behind someone, felt the benefit though, not sure I'd fancy it with a bus/truck, even less hope of seeing what's happening ahead

bonj2

It reminds me of a funny incident when I once rear ended a car...this was quite a few years ago.
I was coming up to the end of a road before a roundabout at which there was a traffic jam, and basically I rear ended another car. The door opened, and I thought shoot she's noticed. I thought 'do I get out and apologise, or do I just wait for her to come to the window?'
But when she got out she went round to check the FRONT of her car, obviously decided it was ok, then got back in her car and waited for the traffic to start moving again! So I sat tight and later on just got the headlight cover changed at charlie brown's and nowt more was said about it...

chthonic

Über Member
Man, I've rear-ended two cars - first time with just myself after a car pulled out in front of me and then stopped dead for a zebra crossing. I'd changed my brake pads that day and the bike stopped, leaving me flying superman-style into the back of the car. I'm not sure how I survived that one - broke my heel and my sternum.

Second time was following a Volvo too close around a corner. Someone reversed out into the road and the Volvo emergency stopped in less space than I did. Managed to bend the front forks back a couple of inches. Nice Volvo driver hopped out to check I was OK - when I asked him if his car was damaged he just said, "nah, it's a volvo mate." He even offered me a lift home, which, through hurt pride, I refused.

Moral: back off a bit, fool.

Top Bottom