Bike lights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HovR

Über Member
I don't have that exact light, but I do have this XML-T6 torch.

Torchy (the seller) knows his stuff, and the Fluxient range of lights seem to be of a fairly good quality, from my understanding. The downside of these torches is they have a strobe and SOS mode which are completely useless on a bike. The battery life on my torch using the same LED (on full) is around 45 minutes from a single battery.

Medium mode is enough for unlit roads in my opinion, so you will get a bit more battery life, and the low mode is more than enough to get you noticed on lit streets - Although the different optics and reflectors may lead to different results.

I can post some beam shots from my light if it would help.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
The only problem with using a torch is the beam pattern is normally far too wide, causing issues with other road users as you blind them unless you point the thing directly at the ground.

Yes! - mine arrived tuesday. Took many hours to discharge fully (im guessing about 8) and took about 6 hours (more guess work) to re-charge fully. It is brighter than you can possibly imagine, and you'll find it burns your retina's clean through if you accidently switch it on pointing at your eyes. Feels reasonably secure on the bars, but none-the-less I think i'll end up slipping a very thin elastic band on to make sure it cant come off. Very chuffed with mine. :smile:

andrew_s

Legendary Member

According to the measurements he lists, it's decent but not all that bright.
He lists 3200 lux for the hot spot at one metre, and 1790 lux 150mm/8.5° away from the hot spot. That's the same as 32 & 17.9 lux at 10m. German road regulations stipulate a minimum brightness of 15 lux at 10m, which is a reasonable value for a moderate pace (20-25kph) on unlit dry roads, or being seen by. A B+M IQ Cyo dynamo light is 60 lux at 10m, and gives fairly even coverage over an area wide enough to cover the road (but very little in the verges or for overhanging branches).

Top Bottom