Bike lock

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Suddabym

What’s everyone’s go to bike lock as I have a new bike and definitely need a pretty decent one for where Iive. Thx in advance

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
What's your budget?
Is the lock to be left somewhere or portable?

OP
OP
Suddabym

Suddabym

What's your budget?
Is the lock to be left somewhere or portable?

Between £30-£40 just need to leave it when I pop in a shop or doctors won’t be leaving it more than 20mins at a time. And don’t want one attached to my bike I’d rather carry it in my bag

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Abus Bordo for front wheel and a good d-lock - currently an Oxford D lock in a secure bike park, but I also have a Kryptonite New York Forgeddaboutit Mini - one of the strongest, but it's tricky to fit due to it being small, and not suitable for my MTB.

I’ve gone for the abus ultimate found it at wiggle for £29.99 thank you 😃😃

And if you can - make your bike less attractive to thieves. Wrap some old inner tubes round the tube to disguise it if you can. Basically I don't leave my bikes out in public view. I'd rather walk than risk it. Or use my Brompton and carry it with me.

vickster

Legendary Member
I’ve gone for the abus ultimate found it at wiggle for £29.99 thank you 😃😃
Good price with cable!

OP
OP
Suddabym

Suddabym

And if you can - make your bike less attractive to thieves. Wrap some old inner tubes round the tube to disguise it if you can. Basically I don't leave my bikes out in public view. I'd rather walk than risk it. Or use my Brompton and carry it with me.

Great advice thank you

2 things to look for
a) Sold Secure Gold on the lock (see later for why)
b) check that your insurance company (which may be your house insurance) is happy with the one you use

Reason for (a) is so that the insurance company has less room to reject the claim if it gets stolen
Yes they might say any good lock will do - but then you claim and suddenly they want to define what they meany by 'good'
If it was "Sold Secure Gold" they have no wriggle room

On top of that I would make sure there is at leat one other lock of some kind - preferably a different kind - on it as well
Your aim is simply to make it that bit harder and time consuming to knick is someone looks at it and wonders

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Kryptonite or Abus d lock with a cable
Get MINIMUM two good quality locks and lock bike correctly.
The owner of this very desirable bike remembered the Kryptonite lock but forgot the cable or a second lock! :whistle:

Locked bike.jpg

Big John

Guru
The two lock idea is very sensible. I had a decent D lock on my bike (locked up outside Halfords) but because I only had one lock some toerag nicked my front wheel ☹️

OP
OP
Suddabym

Suddabym

2 things to look for
a) Sold Secure Gold on the lock (see later for why)
b) check that your insurance company (which may be your house insurance) is happy with the one you use

Reason for (a) is so that the insurance company has less room to reject the claim if it gets stolen
Yes they might say any good lock will do - but then you claim and suddenly they want to define what they meany by 'good'
If it was "Sold Secure Gold" they have no wriggle room

On top of that I would make sure there is at leat one other lock of some kind - preferably a different kind - on it as well
Your aim is simply to make it that bit harder and time consuming to knick is someone looks at it and wonders

Thank you I suppose I could use my old lock as well even though it’s not that great

Top Bottom