Bike maintenance book suggestions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sniffer77

Hi guys
Can anyone recommend a good road bike maintenance book?
I think it's about time I learned how to do basics without having to go to lbs all the time .
Any recommendations or anyone selling would be good .
Prefer to read up rather than YouTube .
Thanks
Jamie

Slioch

Guru
I use the Haynes manual as it covers all the main bases, but I'm sure there are other good ones out there and everyone will have their personal preference.

bikeman66

Hi guys
Can anyone recommend a good road bike maintenance book?
I think it's about time I learned how to do basics without having to go to lbs all the time .
Any recommendations or anyone selling would be good .
Prefer to read up rather than YouTube .
Thanks
Jamie
I use the Haynes Bike Maintenance book (about £16.00 from Halfords). In general terms it pretty well covers most things you'll need to do. I found some really useful tips in it that made certain jobs alot easier than the methods I'd previously used. If you are just wanting to do basic stuff on your bike it will be just right.

yello

I like Zinn. Mine now has oil finger prints and smears from being a bench side companion. It's a bit light/basic for some things (e.g. wheel building) but it has a good range and covers the bases well.

I have a Haynes too but the Zinn's my fave and does the job for the most part.

bpsmith

Veteran
The Haynes manual is decent. The Park Big Blue Book is better and as mentioned upthread they have detailed repair instructions on their website too: http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help
Out of interest, assuming that you have this book, does it go into more or less detail than the website?

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Out of interest, assuming that you have this book, does it go into more or less detail than the website?
Doing a quick comparison, the book is very detailed but there does seem to be more on the website. For example I noticed that on the website there are instructions for fitting a Hammerschmidt drive and information on installing bushes to repair stripped pedal threads in the crank which don't appear in the book.

bpsmith

Veteran
Doing a quick comparison, the book is very detailed but there does seem to be more on the website. For example I noticed that on the website there are instructions for fitting a Hammerschmidt drive and information on installing bushes to repair stripped pedal threads in the crank which don't appear in the book.
That is fairly obscure, so can forgive them for that.

I just meant, for everyday stuff, is the same info on both. Kind of want the book, but find the website brilliant. Oil wipes easily of my iPad. :smile:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
That is fairly obscure, so can forgive them for that.

I just meant, for everyday stuff, is the same info on both. Kind of want the book, but find the website brilliant. Oil wipes easily of my iPad. :smile:
To be honest, if you're happy to look things up on the iPad while working it's probably best to carry on doing that. The everyday stuff is about the same between the two.

bpsmith

Veteran
To be honest, if you're happy to look things up on the iPad while working it's probably best to carry on doing that. The everyday stuff is about the same between the two.
My only issue is WiFi signal sometimes, as garage is not adjoining the house. Might look at getting the book, now I know that the detail is comparable. It's not too expensive in fairness.

Top Bottom