bike maintenance courses in London?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jujubi

Hi, has anybody attended any maintenance courses in London? Any recommendations? General experiences?

It has to be said I know *nothing* about the technical aspects of bicycles, not even the main terms. When the guy in the bike shop explains to me what's wrong with my bike and what he's going to do to it (bless him, he keeps on trying to talk to me...) he just gets that blank look from me. It's embarrassing.

I want to be able to deal with a puncture and know what happens if you tighten some screw or other etc.

They all seem to be pretty expensive though.

Can't help with courses in London, but have a look at this excellent site:

http://bicycletutor.com/

Get a good basic tool kit, set yourself up in the garage/living room and set about your bike with vigour.

Don't forget the tea and biscuits! :biggrin:

And have fun; it's not that difficult!

OP
OP
J

jujubi

Great links, thank you.

200 pounds per day is just not doable for me, though. :laugh:

I think I'm going to check out the one by South Thames College and then see whether I can learn more on my own.

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
These forums are a wealth of information, but you may need to know the name of the bit you want to adjust. IMHO, a £40 bike specific toolkit, a day to play, and a good link to youtube, bicycletutor, and this place will sort most of your needs.

If you get really stuck, there is a london based rider who is easily snared. Just get your bike really dirty, then join a sunday london ride. He won't be able to stop himself.:tongue:

OP
OP
J

jujubi

Apart from not knowing the names of bits, I don't even know what most of the bits actually do, or which of them could be responsible for that irritating sound etc. So, I'd really like be under supervision when I start tinkering with my bike... :-D

Really helpful links, everybody. Thanks.

davidg

if you are in the south east, then definitely go to www.cycletraining.co.uk
they are really good, I have been to both and the beginners course is exactly what you need.

chances are your borough pays for it...which borough do you live in?

brockers

Ooh. That's a nice looking 'nago. About time I actually put my (not dissimilar) Basso back together and actually rode the thing.

My advice to the OP is to get hold of a basic toolkit, and have a gentle tweak of anything with a thread on it - such as a nut or a screw - realising that you're extremely unlikely to break it. Once you've got over that level of anxiety, you can push your boundaries a bit and try and pick something - say the saddle, or a brake caliper - and remove it, and then realise how straightforward it is to put it back. The only thing to remember is not to panic, and if you are overwhelmed at any stage, then walk away, have a cuppa, and come back refreshed and relishing the challenge. It shouldn't take long for you to look back and wonder why you found it all so daunting at first. And has been pointed out, there's so much advice and info on the net once you know what you're looking for.

Top Bottom