Bike maintenance for a beginner

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyMack

As we're both Sparkly new to cycling my wife and I are going to a bike maintenance class at Evans cycles Glasgow on Sunday morning. £15 each but it promises to go through the basics of cleaning, tyre tube replacement etc, there's also the added bonus of it being a minimum 6 mile round trip on a Sunday morning with a coffee and bacon roll incentive thrown in afterwards.

What was the course like if you dont mind me asking? Quite interested in one myself....

AndyMack

What was the course like if you dont mind me asking? Quite interested in one myself....

I enjoyed it Ian, it was pretty informal as there were only 4 of us there. The guy had excellent knowledge of the bikes and went through all the basics like tightening brakes, gears, ajusting deraliers (sp?) refitting a chain if it comes off and changing a inner tube at the roadside if you get a puncture. He also showed us how to clean and maintain the bikes after riding in the mud/rain etc.
I found it extremely informative and like I said it gave me a confidence boost. I've happily been cycling away now three/four days a week and am loving the bike. I'd definitely say go for it if you're either new to biking or perhaps need a refresher course as it's well run and worth every penny.

Sorry for the delay in replying our wi-fi connection has died a death at the exact same time as I killed my phone!!
Andy.

Cheers Andy. Tried booking one online with my local one (Gateshead) but the latest date was 20th Aug (!). Rang the shop up, guy was sorry but said they dont run them anymore..I explained it was on the website just out of date. He ummed and arred a bit and said he would get back to me. Couple of hours later he explained the courses are booked from a central place via the website and they of course did run them :-) the website just had not been updated and if I was to look on Saturday I could book for the following day. He also explained that if I was the only one who booked it then it would be a 1 on 1, rather than get cancelled - well pleased with that and will book it probably this weekend :-)

AndyMack

Cheers Andy. Tried booking one online with my local one (Gateshead) but the latest date was 20th Aug (!). Rang the shop up, guy was sorry but said they dont run them anymore..I explained it was on the website just out of date. He ummed and arred a bit and said he would get back to me. Couple of hours later he explained the courses are booked from a central place via the website and they of course did run them :-) the website just had not been updated and if I was to look on Saturday I could book for the following day. He also explained that if I was the only one who booked it then it would be a 1 on 1, rather than get cancelled - well pleased with that and will book it probably this weekend :-)
You'll enjoy it, especially if you're lucky enough for the one on one.
I showed up in the store and they couldn't book it for me, I too had to do it online!

If you subscribe to GCN (Global Cycling Network) on YouTube they often show videos on maintenance ranging from cleaning your bike to pretty much rebuilding it. (Maintenance Mondays) I find these to be very helpful and the hacks have got me out of a lot of trouble. There’s no technical jargon it’s all well presented and well informed. Definitely worth a look.

jimmi t

Always interesting to see how often others clean their bikes. Personally I keep my road and MTB spotless and are generally cleaned after every ride done on them. But tbh that's mainly because I enjoy cleaning them and I like having them looking nice and shiny in the garage. I know it's good practice to keep all the drive train clean but like others say giving the chain a bit of a wipe down and oil every couple of weeks will help. Ultimately it depends how often and in what conditions you ride in. But always remember a clean bike is always a more reliable and faster bike. :smile: having said all that I've just built up a cx bike to use as my commuter/winter bike and it won't be getting cleaned down anywhere near as often as my others. It will be the oily rag approach and the occasional hose down when it's been off road. Hope this helps.

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
It's easy to over think bike maintenance and get daunted. Weekly pump up tyres and maybe wipe the chain with oily rag - I'm not a believer in degreasing chains or agressive cleaning. Check & adjust brakes and gears now and again and giving the rims a clean with meths. Oily rag to wipe the bike down if it-s filthy. Other stuff such as wheel bearings, bottom brackets, headsets far far less frequently - every few thousand miles if that . Ditto chain stretch checking.

Do you find that meths discolours the rims? I've never tried using it because I heard this is what it does.

Top Bottom