Bike maintenance for idiots

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

compo

Veteran
I have been fettling and building bikes since my pre teen days. We used to get all the bits we needed from the local scrap yard, or there was always old bikes dumped in ditches and on bomb sites. Most young lads could strip and rebuild bikes with a minimum of tools. Bikes are not complicated. In fact mechanically they are fairly simple devices. The complications arise with compatibility of components. Buy special tools as you need them and get the best you can afford. Some of my tools for older style bikes are over 40 years old and still in good condition. When I needed tools for later bikes with sealed bottom brackets, Ahead headsets and freehub mounted cassettes I only needed a few extra tools. One tool I would recommend is a tool to open the quick link link on the chain. The tool tends to be called a missing link tool. By hand some of these quick links can be a real pain to open, the tool makes splitting the chain for cleaning a breeze.

andyfraser

Über Member
I really need to start doing more myself. At the end of March I plan to buy some of the things I'll need like a decent work stand and some more tools. I don't lack ability, just confidence. I'm always worried that something I've adjusted or fixed will break. I borrowed an old Apollo hybrid in 2009. It's now sitting rotting in my OH's dad's garden. I'm tempted to rescue it and see if I can rebuild it to give me some confidence but I don't think my OH will like that.

I really need to learn to replace chains and cassettes because that could get costly if I keep getting my LBS to do it. I also really want to be able to true my own wheels but that's something for the future.

compo

Veteran
. I borrowed an old Apollo hybrid in 2009. It's now sitting rotting in my OH's dad's garden. I'm tempted to rescue it and see if I can rebuild it to give me some confidence but I don't think my OH will like that.

Just do it. If it's purely a learning exercise you don't need to rebuild it with new parts. Just dismantle it down to bare frame then clean and rebuild it. That way mistakes wont matter and you will very soon see if you have boobed because bits wont fit or move properly. Use you phone or camera to take pictures of parts as you dismantle then you can see what it should look like when reassembled. Obviously if you do intend to use it then replace worn or damaged parts.

andyfraser

Über Member
Just do it. If it's purely a learning exercise you don't need to rebuild it with new parts. Just dismantle it down to bare frame then clean and rebuild it. That way mistakes wont matter and you will very soon see if you have boobed because bits wont fit or move properly. Use you phone or camera to take pictures of parts as you dismantle then you can see what it should look like when reassembled. Obviously if you do intend to use it then replace worn or damaged parts.
The Apollo would have to live in the garden under a tarp. She won't like that one bit because...

Her old mountain bike is sitting around in the garden under a tarp. She doesn't use it any more. I might just strip that down instead.

sionhughes

Forgot in my earlier post, but when I bought my bike at Halfords they offered me a years servicing for £20. They do an end of year service which is normally £50 and any tweaks or labour through the year would be free as long as the parts were bought at Halfords (apparently including changing inner tubes, etc if you're too lazy!). Thought this wasn't too bad!

ChrisEyles

Guru
I understand completely about not being confident enough to service your own bike, especially if you rely on it for commuting.

I think the best way to learn all the necessary maintenance skills is to obtain an old heap of a bike, strip it down to pieces as far as you can, and then rebuild. Then you won't have to worry about damaging your "precious", or having it fail on you on the way to work, or 30 miles from home.

Ideally this old bike should be as similar as possible to your "real" bike (e.g. old quill stems are a bit different to modern A-Head ones), but even if things are a bit different, the confidence and skills you gain will put you in good stead.

Top Bottom