bike maintenance help required

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I am fairly new to cycling, and after treating myself to a new bike last week I am interested to know what
Maintenance stuff I will require.
Not spanners/alun keys just the oil etc .
Nice and cheap if possible, after decades of running the main expense been shoes, this cycling lark can be very expensive.

I would start with a book personally...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Zinn-Art-Road-Bike-Maintenance/dp/1934030422/ref=pd_sim_sbs_b_1
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Zinn-Art-Mountain-Bike-Maintenance/dp/1934030597/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_b

one of the most useful maintenance books I have come across. It will take you through what tools you need for the level you are happy with, it grades each and every one of the maintenance instructions with spanners, so you know how easy/difficult it is going to be and covers plenty of options and variations.

If that fails and you know what it is that is wrong, just not how to fix it, youtube has loads of maintenance videos, but I prefer a hard copy to work from... something about greasy finger prints on paper than makes me feel like I have achieved something!

Zakalwe

Most important thing for now will be to just keep your chain clean. Once a week run it backwards through a rag wet with chain lube and keep doing that until no more filth comes off. The more often you do this the less there is to do and the longer your drivetrain will last. Run a rag between the cogs too to get muck out of that, then oil the chain lightly and wipe off the excess.

So you basically need some lube and a pile of old rags. Cheap enough?

OP
OP
M

Mark Walker

Veteran
thanks for the reply s
Was at the bike shop tonight ,new bike last Friday and the shifter was not working, they fixed the shifter now the gear is slipping in middle cog !!
Anyhow took advise from the forum and got some chain lube so at least this is a start.
My ride home is x/c some footpaths and off road wet and muddy .how often does one clean the bike and how ,hosepipe it down and a wipe of daily? weekly ?

thanks for the reply s
Was at the bike shop tonight ,new bike last Friday and the shifter was not working, they fixed the shifter now the gear is slipping in middle cog !!
Anyhow took advise from the forum and got some chain lube so at least this is a start.
My ride home is x/c some footpaths and off road wet and muddy .how often does one clean the bike and how ,hosepipe it down and a wipe of daily? weekly ?

my old commute was across bridlepaths, single track roads, and a dirt track. occasionally I would get a patch of clean road if it had rained hard enough... usually I was cycling through mud (expescially in autumn/winter/spring and often in summer as well...)
Both myself and my bike would need hosing down (I used a watering can) (gently) TWICE a day - once at each end... The chain would get daily inspections, usually oiled & cleaned (rag) every other day and major cleaning session on the only day of the week it was not in use - Saturday. without that, it got gunked up badly, very quickly and I cycled along sandy & muddy bridlepaths (not footpaths, that's illegal) each and every day. So it would get a lot of cleaning because it needed an awful lot of cleaning - it was a mountain bike btw.

It really depends on how dirty it actually is getting, how much has stuck, what type of bike it is, what oil you have bought (yeh I know, no-one said anything about different types of oil) and how long you want to go between having to replace chain & casettes. The more maintenance/cleaning you do, the longer between replacements... if you don't use too much oil that is.

OP
OP
M

Mark Walker

Veteran
thanks for that SNSSO .
Washing my fell shoes after a run was a chew on ,this cycling lark is a different league.

thanks for that SNSSO .
Washing my fell shoes after a run was a chew on ,this cycling lark is a different league.

you're welcome, took me a bit to work out SNSSO, most people seem to drop it to SatNav... ^_^

Top Bottom