Bike Maintenance

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi,

I have been riding my bike now for about a month and so far travelled approximately 400km. When I first went out, my gears and indeed gear changes were silent and effortless. Now, just 400km in, they are noisy and sometimes need an extra click/move of the lever. Is this normal? Do they need indexing already?

Thanks, Paul

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
It's usual if not normal that cables settle into place over the first few weeks. Many sellers offer a free service after six weeks or so where they adjust such things.

OP
OP
The 300lb Cyclist
Thanks for all of these! Yes, I had previously googled this. My competence and therefore confidence level on doing this is pretty small. I will watch again and consider!

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
Thanks for all of these! Yes, I had previously googled this. My competence and therefore confidence level on doing this is pretty small. I will watch again and consider!

If you bought your bike from a high street retailer or smaller bike shop they should offer to give the bike the once over for free after you've done a few miles to sort this sort of thing. Often called the six week service.

OP
OP
The 300lb Cyclist
Many thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, I didn't. I purchased it from an online retailer. I will search youtube and if all else fails, I will speak to by local bike shop.

si_c

Guru
Many thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, I didn't. I purchased it from an online retailer. I will search youtube and if all else fails, I will speak to by local bike shop.
Nothing wrong with using a LBS even if you didn't purchase your bike there.

But it's a reasonably straightforward fix. Basically the slack in the system between the shifters and the gears at the back gets removed as you use them. On the back there is usually a barrel adjuster; turn this a quarter turn anticlockwise and see if it fixes the problem. If not repeat the process until it does.

If things get worse, turn it the other way a quarter turn. Really, it's impossible to screw up totally, and if you do, that's what bike shops are for!

OP
OP
The 300lb Cyclist
Ah, that's what I found to be the better video when I was searching last night. I will give it a go myself and as an earlier poster said, If all else fails, I will go to the local bike shop.

Many thanks for your help!

Top Bottom